Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

advanced vx 6/8 newtonian telescope

Hello My name is Michael and I am fairly new to astronomy and new to this forum. Right now i Have a 4 inch refractor for visual use and would like to get into imaging in the next 6 months or so and am looking at different setups. Does anyone have any experince with Celestron Adavance vx 6 inch or 8 inch newt? I am scared of purchasing the setup and it not having enough back focus to focus a DSLR. I have watched videos that says it does. I am a total begginer to AP, I will be getting a Canon T4i in october, If anyone has any reccomnedations for a Newbie to AP I am all ears. budget probably around 1500 to 2000 for scope and mount. thanks Clear Skies

Michael

HI Michael. I have the VX with the 6" newt. Love the mount. Should have gotten it with the 8" but the 6 is very nice.

With the 6 inch, focus is not a problem. You won't even need a T adapter. Just the T ring. The C6 is setup so you can remove the EP and screw the T ring directly to the focuser so the DSLR is as close to the tube as possible.

If you would want to use a barlow for imaging with the DSLR then you would need a T adapter as well.

Hi and welcome to SGL - Many imagers start off with an ED80 or such like for imaging. It's a very forgiving focal length and is the staple of many people's imaging kit. Having used a long focal length scope for a few months and now going back to the refractor I really can appreciate how easy the short focal length refractor is in comparison to the longer focal lengths. Bear in mind as well that there are a lot of big things in the sky!! Have you checked out a fov calculator to give you an idea http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

The VX mount is very good, easy to set up and the all star polar align it has allows a good polar set up without using a polar scope.

A little noisy when slewing but very quiet when tracking. I have the 9.25 SCT on mine, but also intend to use it with the ED80 I bought specifically for AP.

Thanks for all the replies,

Michael

Hi Micheal,

AP  is already a challenging hobby, anything to make it easier is welcome. A newtonian to start with may not be the best option for a beginner. There are also other imaging complications associated with a Newt. Before making a decision take a look at some of the EDs around,  they are popular for good reasons.

Regards,

A.G

Archived