NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cleaning eyepieces

Hi, as i use my EP's over time i keep getting fingerprints on them and its not the sort of thing you can just blow off. What is the best way of cleaning them without damaging them? If there are any kits that anyone can recommend this would be wonderful :)

Thanks

This is what you need http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/baader-optical-wonder-fluid.html but

don't spray on to the eyepiece spray the fluid onto the cloth, it's best to buy both items as the

cloth is made for the job, other types of cloth may scratch the lens, if you have a blower use that

first to blow away dust and grime, then use the fluid and cloth to gently clean the lens, take your 

time, then you won't damage the coatings.

A note of caution. On some eyepieces you can unscrew the barrel to clean the scope side exposed surface of the lens. On others, you will have expensive glass crashing to the floor as the lens falls out! So go carefully and you will have some sparkling views.

Paul

Baader fluid & cloth came today, gave me EP's a good old clean. A couple of things that annoyed me:

• Dust just goes straight back not the lens, like anything really. Its like a magnet.
  • When cleaning them i got some dirt patches on the cloth. Can the cloth be cleaned and if so how would this be done? It doesn't seem wise to use a dirty bit of the cloth to clean again.

Good purchase  :kiss: Thanks for the suggestion.

I tend to use IPA and cotton wool buds. takes a while but no rush.

If you want to scare yourself look at this one for ES eyepieces, scroll up to 8 minutes.

I don't recommend it, even if you have ES eyepieces.

We are probably a bit over-precious about cleaning optics but, having made a mess of a perfectly good eyepiece a few years back, I'm keen not to do the same again. Modern multi-coatings are quite robust though I think.

That said, if you have invested in some decent eyepieces you can easily have a few £hundreds or more invested in the set so spending £15 for the materials to perform many safe cleans seems a minor issue.

I tend to use IPA and cotton wool buds. takes a while but no rush.

If you want to scare yourself look at this one for ES eyepieces, scroll up to 8 minutes.

I don't recommend it, even if you have ES eyepieces.

Don't forget to remove the fish first!  :grin:

Archived