NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn help

I'm trying to image saturn using the webcam technique.  I have my C9.25 with my canon 6d connected using all the appropriate adapters.  Using backyard EOS to capture the video.  All I get is a oval blob.  Two nights ago when I first tried I thought I had my ISO up to high.  Tonight I had the iso at 100 and got the same result.  The attached pic is a screen capture of what my video looks like. HELP what am i doing wrong. 

Thanks,

Mike

post-37865-0-71674700-1405832052.png

Was it tracking ok as it looks like it has moved to me. It's also overexposed. When you use BYE the image you see on your screen should be a bit dim like its underexposed. How many frames? What did you use to stack it? 

Peter

I think Peter has got it, apart from over exposure looks like some sort of vibration or movement. I'm not what you'd call an APer but with just my 130 and iPhone got similar results. Below are 2 handheld shots. The first is almost identical to yours, the second with same settings (ie just holding iPhone to EP of 130p Heritage) shows a slightly better (although still rubbish) image. Still the same overexposure but slightly better due to less camera shake, which may explain your "blob" look.post-37300-0-00507400-1405847694_thumb.jpost-37300-0-79795200-1405847717_thumb.j

what does the focus look like with live view?

I didn't use the live view to focus...I only used what i saw on my computer using BYE.

looks over exposed

I thought the same thing.  Couple of nights ago my ISO was set at 800 but last night I set it to 100 and it looked exactly the same.  ISO is the only exposure setting you can change BYE.  Aperture is fixed and since its a video clip I can't change the exposure time (I think).  Is there a way to change the exposure time of each frame?

Was it tracking ok as it looks like it has moved to me. It's also overexposed. When you use BYE the image you see on your screen should be a bit dim like its underexposed. How many frames? What did you use to stack it? 

Peter

It was tracking though probably not real well.  Correct me if i'm wrong, with this technique alignment/tracking isn't critical.  Since I'm recording an video clip taking lots of fast frames movement shouldn't make a difference.  I would feel differently if I was taking one long exposure.  

I think for this one I took 500 frames.  I didn't bother stacking because i know it will be junk.  The entire clip looks like the pic i posted above.  

thanks everyone for you thoughts.

If it is not tracking well then I think that could be the problem. It is not so crucial as with DSO imaging but it still needs to track pretty good. The other issue is the balance - if it's way out of balance on the mount the telescope might be slipping but if each frame looked like that I doubt that is the issue. Is the scope collimated ok? Did you use a Bahtinov mask on a star to get focus?

Peter

If it is not tracking well then I think that could be the problem. It is not so crucial as with DSO imaging but it still needs to track pretty good. The other issue is the balance - if it's way out of balance on the mount the telescope might be slipping but if each frame looked like that I doubt that is the issue. Is the scope collimated ok? Did you use a Bahtinov mask on a star to get focus?

Peter

Scope/mount was balanced.  Collimation should be good.  Had my local telescope store do it when I ordered.  I didn't use a Bahtinov mask.  I used FWHM in BYE and focused until i got the smallest number.   

So I think I got my answer from Guylain over at the BYE forum.  For the ISO controls in BYE to affect the live view simulation, the camera has to be in Manual and not Bulb.  So even though I lowered the ISO in BYE it didn't have any affect on what was produced hence why last night look just like the night before.  Guess I will just have to give it a try tonight and I'll let you all know.  

Good luck. Camera must always be in Manual when using BYE. I would recommend getting a Bahtinov mask - you should find focusing easier.

Peter

I know that now...I learn something new every time I take it out.  Now if the weather would only cooperate. Since April its been nothing but soupy skies.  I don't know anything about Bahtinov masks.  Got a a link you can share?  

Thanks for the video.  So there is more to my issue than I originally thought.  Not only does the camera dial have to be in manual, there is a setting on my 6d called exposure simulation.  If that is disabled, any adjustments to exposure settings in BYE won't have an effect on the video.  After a second night of the same results, this time in manual, I disconnected the computer and had the same overexposed image on the back of the camera.  So i spent some time going through my camera manual and found this setting.  The guys over at the BYE forum converted it needs to be on.  Now i just need a clear night to go test it.  thanks again of the video.

• 3 weeks later...

Great shot of the Moon! It's a steep learning curve, and each camera type has different requirements. I hope this setting works for you on a planet when you next have the chance.

Have you tried APT (AstroPhotography Tool)? It's very good and cheap. I find the camera settings easy to use.

Alexxx

Great shot of the Moon! It's a steep learning curve, and each camera type has different requirements. I hope this setting works for you on a planet when you next have the chance.

Have you tried APT (AstroPhotography Tool)? It's very good and cheap. I find the camera settings easy to use.

Alexxx

I haven't but I hear a lot about it. I used BYE when imaging with my canon. It really easy to use and the guys in their help forum are great.

Archived