Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flat roof garage

beamer3.6m

The new house has a flat roof which seems very basic (not tiled etc) which has got me thinking.

If I installed (when I say 'I' I mean builder) a skylight would I be able to raise my scope (via a pier) through the hole. I have an Heq5 with 200p mounted side by side with interchangeable maks.

how big would the hole need to be, would it be waterproof, how would I raise the scope.

I don't care much for visual as looking to move into video astronomy to complement the ap gear I have.

want to keep budget very low. Is £500 doable.

Could be done but there would be loads of vibrations through the mount mechanism so this would ruin any images. Theres also the thermal issues which have been mentioned already. Technically it wont be difficult but I doubt it would be worth the poor views youd get.

cheers

Consider this instead of buying an expensive skylight. You or a Carpenter could pre-build a raised hatch, frame in supports at the intended location, mount it on the roof, then cut the interior hole out after its been weatherproofed. This way the integrity of your garage roof won't be affected if the weather suddenly takes a turn for the worst. 

Archived