Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ships, Clock & Stars-Review-National Maritime Museum, Greenwich

baggywrinkle

Spent the whole day at Greenwich yesterday, bought the Big Ticket online and that gave me access to the Ships Clock & Stars expo as well as the Observatory and the Cutty Sark.

SC&S (to save time writing it every few paragraphs) is superb, especially if you are interested in things nautical, stellar and time. The exhibition is in the basement of the NMM and as you walk in you are confronted with the sight and sound of a sea under a cloudy sky, implying that once at sea all can be lost.

The exhibition leads you through excellently displayed exhibits of early navigational tools, cross staffs etc, and how the mariners worked mostly on dead reckoning to get their latitudinal positions. You are introduced to the Members of the Latitude Board and then onto Harrison's clocks. 5 are on exhibit and there are the copies that were made by other clock makers to prove that Harrison's technology could be reproduced.

I loved the section on Cook and to see the sextant he handled and the transit telescope he used for the transit of Venus plus his chronometer was a thrill.

The final halls show the development of the chronometer to a device that was able to be mass produced.

All in all a superb exhibition, subtly lit, very nicely explained and so good to see the clocks on display and working.

I also visited the Nelson Gallery, as an ex Navy person Nelson, despite his self promotion, was a superb tactician and the gallery is devoted to him and his life and that of those who served with him.

I got to the NMM early and more or less had the SC&S to myself for over an hour.

I have not been to the Royal Observatory for many years. It was very busy far busier than the NMM, but I wondered how many understood what they were looking at or its significance?

Once I can upload the images onto this excremental PC I will do so. It was great to see the transit telescopes and see the technology that was the basis of nautical almanacs for so many years. The 20'' scope is still a beast to be admired. Did you know that in the entrance area is the base and a section of wooden rail from Herschel's 40'' reflector?

The Cutty Sark is OK but even as a mariner it did not give me the same buzz that I get from seeing the Victory, Mary Rose or the Warrior. But it was good t st down in the café at the bottom of the dock looking up and along the length of her copper bottomed hull.

Parking is pricey! GBP2.50 an hour.

The Royal Observatory/NMM, London and the Historic Dockyards at Portsmouth are two of the best days out to be had in the country.

At the end of the day they provide that feeling of being intellectually improved from what you were in the morning.

I'll certainly be heading down this summer for the exhibition.

Totally agree. The Dockyard at Portsmouth can take you from a 16th century naval warship (Mary Rose) to one of the first iron ships Warrior) via the Victory. Take the Gosport ferry and you can tour a post WWII A class submarine.

Chatham Dockyard is also well worth the visit.

Yeah baggy, the NMM is well worth visiting, it has been a while.

+ the Historic Dockyard, I was there in 2005, Victory, over shadowed by 2 of the carriers,  Illustrious, Ark Royal, or Invincible moored within line of sight..:)

Cracked my head on the way down to the surgeons bench. Those decks are not tall.

Haven't been to Greenwich yet but it's on my list for the next visit to London.  Was in London April last year for ten days but ran out of time. Went to Portsmouth & saw the Victory & Warrior unfortunately The Mary Rose Exhibition was closed (which I knew) and wasn't going to be opened for another week or two.  Missed that about the Gosport Ferry to see the submarine didn't know about it.  Also spent a day in Bath & visited William Herschels home which was very interesting. Didn't know he composed musical works.  The Science Museum in London  is worth a visit - George 111's collection of scientific apparatus is amazing.  The exploring space section is good also.

HMS Belfast is worth a visit and Churchills War Rooms.  I'll stop here before people think I work for London Tourism!

I was still in my Naval Apprenticeship training when HMS Belfast was towed up the Thames to her berth opposite the Tower. She was in a sad condition and there were volunteer teams from various training establishments working on her for a week at a time to help make her safe. I had two trips to London to do that and we lived on board, worked during the day and enjoyed runs ashore in London.

My father served on her as a 16 year old gunner in the Korean War.

I have heard the Imperial War Museum re-opens this week so I have that on my list too.

I'm sure that was interesting and once in a lifetime experience. I'm sure your Dad has some stories to tell.  I'm just turned the tv   on  BBC 1 and guess what they are talking about, the IWM reopening with new exhibits etc, it will be on later again before 9 am.  Visited it 3 years ago.

Were off to London next week, and Greenwich is always  a site we visit.

Your visit to the SC&S has inspired me to attend that exhibition, it sounds fantastic.

My wife does a look around on the Internet prior to our holiday, seeking out 2 for 1 To various attractions.

Not sure she will find one for the Maritime Museum, but if she doesn't, it's because they won't exist :grin:.

Thanks for your your timely Info Baggywrinkle.

Ron.

Les  Invalides in Paris is worth a visit, Napoleon' s tomb is there. Not Nautical though.

Ron try the Tesco website if you shop there  and collect their vouchers.  I've got in free using them to the following:

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard & The Spinnaker Tower, HMS Belfast,  Blenheim Palace, The London  Aquarium, Churchill War Rooms & Train tickets on Red Spotted Hanky & Megatrain used them for Bath & Portsmouth. Plus a couple of other sights including the Original London Sightseeing Tour - great to have a rest.  Saved a fortune  Well over £200 in sightseeing fees &  over £400 in restaurant bills in Cafe Rouge & Bella Italia.

I was there the other day, very interesting. Here's a picture I took of one of Harrison's early marine clocks:

14469795997_c0edbacff7_b.jpg

Accurate measurements of longitude must have made such a huge difference to safety at sea and the cost of shipping goods. A starting statistic that brings this home: the early timepieces cost about a third as much as a seagoing vessel, yet this was still seen as a worthwhile investment.

Definitely worth a visit.  I remember seeing Michael Gambon playing Harrison in  a TV series, a couple of years ago, it was very interesting.

I used the two for one to visit Wm Herschels house in Bath.  Plenty of good offers to be had.

Thanks Mary,

I think my Good Lady has been scouring the London 2 for 1 Sites, and Network Rail etc,

The only ticket I've printed so far though, is the one for Kew Gardens.

Pencilled in is the Maritime Museum though, and no doubt more will follow.

Ron

If you have the time take the water bus from the Tower to Greenwich. I did it some years ago and on a clear day it is a great river trip.

We might just do that instead of the DLR which we usually do. :smiley:

Archived