SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Grab and Go scope for small alt az mount

I am looking forward to a few days in the south of France under unspoilt skies and started to wonder what to take. Last time I just enjoyed the milky way with my 8x43 binos (which probably showed me more then my for 4" scope at home under the light polluted London skies)

Now I am considering taking something bigger that can still be stored away in one go. For some reasons I cant see myself taking my heavy Berlebach Uni/Ayo with the TV102 with me in the car (would be ok but maybe I am just looking for an excuse to buy some more kit ;) )

So what would be a good scope to accompany my lightweight Berlebach Report tripod and Ayo Traveller mount (the mount is listed with 6 kg), I first thought a 150mm newt would be good (like to look of the new OO VX 6 but I guess the SW Explorer 150 pds will show me just as much for halve the price),

Getting already carried away I was looking at a 200mm newt, but I think these are getting to long and heavy, so a C8, which is shorter than the 6" newt and still light weight enough, might be another possibility.

Target wise I will probably spend some time looking at DSO's I cant see from home, not sure if for planets the view will be all that different.  

The C8 would certainly make it possible to use a 8" scope on my travel mount. The explorer 200p is listed with 3 kg more than a c8 ota, pushing it well over the max load for my mount.

On the other hand you read about long cool down times for a c8 compared to similar sized newts.

Maybe I should content myself with a 6" newt, as it would be mainly used as a holiday scope and save up for a big dob for the times when I can travel more locally with an empty car.

:) certainly tempting. I saw a 10" travel dob in a German forum last year that fits in a suit case. Primary plus 1 rod that holds the secondary and focuser. Not sure how the colimation is holding though. Just took some measurements in the car, if I don't want to block the view for the back bench with a 6" f5 newt sitting next to me than a c8 or similar sized scope is the only option. Given that Mak's seems to suffer even more from cool down issue it is nearly decided then, shame the newt was looking quite tempting.

You wont regret it. My first scope was a C8. I sold it to get a C11 and immediately regretted it sooo bought a vintage 1979 C8 for exactly the same reason as you. light, portable and excellent views. Cool down is not the problem it is made out to be if it is left at near ambient temperature OR get a cat cooler

http://www.optcorp.com/lymax-cosmicone-sct-cooler-for-8-meade-or-celestron-sct-telescopes.html

The Skywatcher 150 PDS is a great grab and go scope. I take this scope to my local astro monthly star party event. Its very light and I obtain great views of DSOs. A few years back at a SGL star party I undertook a joint viewing session with John (G. Mod) and we must have seen about 30 DSOs that night, star hopping from one to another.

This scope is not expensive and is great value for money IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

I took charge today of my C8 from Astronomia :). In the end a SCT seems to be the best compromise when space is at a premium. I was seriously tempted by a OO VX 10 dob, (thinking that the 8" reflector is already to big for my ,mount so why not go the extra mile. But I think I would have regretted it, having seen 10" otas today in the shop.

Unfortunately the C9.25 is quite a step up in terms of weigh and would have required a bigger alt az mount with additional cost.

Cant wait for first light with my new scope.

Archived