NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

This lens any good?

Hi guys. Have a few pound left over from birthday and found this lens. Seems a bargain but is it any good? I would use it for northern lights and some widefield shots.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/12878/Show.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&utm_term=EF%2050mm%20f1.8%20MK2&gclid=CMvrnY_Hu78CFYnItAodx1gAbA

am new to astro imaging cant use my scope as not enough inward focuser travel, have 1100d un modded with the kit lens,

Am thinking of a nifty fifty I can get from a local photo store for £58 used,  same store also has the EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM at £60

As I use the cam for daylight photography as well as astro, which would give me the best bang for buck, I can only buy one of them.

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

If it was me starting with what i know now, i would go for the 50mm. Purely because it is a prime lens and will produce a much better quality image that the zoom. I started with a 70-300mm and sold it within a few weeks. The nifty fifty is excellent, especially for starting as you will be able to get long exposures, 10 minute subs no bother.

The only bonus of the 50-200mm is that at 200mm you could image nebula but you really need a modded DSLR for that also. I would get the 50 and have a go at some milky way mosaics which the lens is great for.

Archived