Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scutum Star Cloud

Took this about a week or two ago in the early hours, not too long before the skies started getting light. I had spent the previous hours of the night capturing data on the blue horse head to try and make up for last years atrocity! But it looks like i will need many more hours to do it any justice and the skies just refuse to cooperate.

So anyway, this is 35 minutes on the star cloud. An interesting area of sky, E.Barnard called it the gem of the milky way apparently. But i'm pretty sure a whole bunch of objects could be classed as such!

gallery_26473_3241_102336.jpg

And a labeled version with a few of the many clusters in the area, both globs and open

gallery_26473_3241_134772.jpg

Exposure Details:
8* 300secs, f3.2 ISO 800, 50mm
Camera: Canon 600Da
Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8
Mount: NEQ6

Thanks for looking

Thanks Pete!

I shot the cloud last year at 200mm and there really is so many stars! The stars are a bit trailed in the image and nowadays i could do much better with the processing but you get a good idea of the amount of them. I was just poking around for the data to do a re-process but looks like i forgot to back it up before i lost everything on my old laptop!  :sad:

gallery_26473_2818_378101.jpg

Archived