Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with first scope (SW 150P)

So having had the scope a while but not actually having been able to use it for various reasons and having been thwarted by the clouds the last couple of nights (seemed to roll in just as the scope was cooling!) tonight I finally got to use it.

So, all set up and with baited breath took my first look. - awful, just awful.  Was seeing a large blob of light and what looked like a very close up of my eye being reflected back at me (as described by another newbie here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/219268-can-anyone-explain-what-i-am-doing-wrong/).

Scratching my head first thoughts were collimation.  I have a fiddle and decided that trying to do something that you are not entirely sure of, in the dark whilst trying to not drop tools down on to the primary mirror in the dark was perhaps a bit ambitious.  I gave it my best shot but I was pretty sure a) the collimation was not going to be great whatever I did tonight and B) it probably wasn't the problem.

So, had a fiddle around with the scope etc, swapped eyepieces, bleached my eyeballs (ok I didn't actually do this last one) and fiddled around with the scope a bit more an still things were not looking great.

A bit more head scratching and I then dimly remembered that in that other post I linked to above people were convinced it was a focussing errors and also that the guy who sold me the scope mentioned something about having to remove a bit that he had screwed on just for ease of transport.  Penny finally dropped and I removed the 2" to 1.25" adapter from the 2" focussing tube and reattached the adapter.

Now success!  I can see stars and what's more I could see stars that I could not see with the naked eye.  OK as I suspected the collimation is a bit wonky and the stars were not razor sharp but I had actually seen things though the scope.  I was dead chuffed!

Anyway to cap a successful night of and having wasted so much time actually getting to this point I thought I will just have a quick look at that star over there just about the roof tops.  Had my 16mm in and had a look and thought 'Mmmmm that looks a decidedly saucer shaped star.  No, it can't be I can't be that lucky.  Focussed a bit more, 'no definitely not a collimation issue, that star is saucer shaped.  Like it has rings, maybe it is actually Saturn'

7.5mm in and yes it was and I still can't believe my luck.  Has absolutely made my night and even if I never use the scope again it has given me a sight I never imagined possible.  Pushing my luck I then stuck the 2x Barlow in with the 7.5mm and the view was even better.

Can't wait to have a proper go once I have nailed the collimation and have a bit more time but I am still one happy star gazer :D 

Trust me it was far more luck than judgement or skill on my part. But yes, he was there and looked pretty much exactly as Stellarium said it would. Pretty small and completely white but could see separation of planet from rings when I went to 3.25mm. I think had I first looked at him through my 25mm I wouldn't have worked out what I was looking at but had the 16mm in as it was just a quick last look before packing up and that's what have it the telltale shape.

Time was about 2320 and the sky was still relatively light. Definitely worth persevering with as an astonishing sight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That insert should be coloured red and have the words "Remove Me" on it.

The number of people that fall foul of it is immense.

It is becomming to first and standard answer to the question "I cannot see anything?"

That insert should be coloured red and have the words "Remove Me" on it.

The number of people that fall foul of it is immense.

It is becomming to first and standard answer to the question "I cannot see anything?"

Like you I think this must be the No.1 newbie error.

As far as I can remember this isn't even mentioned in the manual either. 

Archived