NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How hard is it to find Neptune?

spurius

Will depend on the aperture, what you will get is in effect a dim green/blue "star".

The size of it will make it appear very much like a point and not an easily discernable disk.

Since most stars are not the colour of Neptune if you have the aperture then the colour should be the identifying factor, assumes that it is the field of view.

Will depend on the aperture, what you will get is in effect a dim green/blue "star".

The size of it will make it appear very much like a point and not an easily discernable disk.

Since most stars are not the colour of Neptune if you have the aperture then the colour should be the identifying factor, assumes that it is the field of view.

Im color blind. My scope is 8inch. Uranus is discernable through my scope, but only at 200x or so. Neptune being much further, I assumed it wouldnt be easy.

I've always found Neptune easier to locate than Uranus. My eyes are more blue sensitive. Uranus always looks pretty colourless to me and Neptune by contrast (to me) is a quite striking blue.

Finding is one thing observing it quite another.

Uranus, I always found of little interest as I've only seen it as totally bland and featureless. Neptune has often showed some limb darkening and slight deviations in colour. Not that any real detail has ever shown itself.

That said I've used large apertures pretty much exclusively on these two. I found that only nights with exceptional seeing is it worth hunting them down as they need considerable power to resolve a disc of any real useful size.

My 10" Dob has never revealed much of anything on either TBH only my old 16" reflector was able to get a reasonable result.

However I'm not the worlds authority on planetary observing and there are many on here with far better eyes than me that could, and possibly do get far better results with far more modest apertures than I ever would :)

Neptune's moon triton is a challenge all on its own and worth a crack at. I got it in a friends 16" reflector, using an app we had on his laptop showing its position, not easy but very satisfying to see it.

I've since pretty much given up on planets as a rule although perhaps one day I'll hunt hem down again :)

Good hunting and post your results please as many find these of interest. :)

Clear and steady skies

I have an 8" unguided newt and look for the two Ice giants every time they come round.

Neptune is easy to find, as is Uranus though as has been said, is smaller so even though you pretty much

know you have it, you need as much Mag as you can throw at it to get any hint at all of a disc like shape.

I have a 6mm lens that I use (Scope 1000mm FL) and if I am still not sure I Barlow that up x2 if the sky

will take it.

Mercury is a different proposition, its generally quite bright, and at some elongations can be 15-18 degrees up from the sun.

People may even see it in the Morning/evening with their naked eyes and not realise what it is.

Mick.

If you have access to an 'Android OS' device, (ie smartphone or tablet), download Telescope Simulator. It gives a fairly accurate or good representation of various nightsky objects including the solar system objects and they look when viewed through an eyepice or barlow & eyepiece combination.

I don't know whether there is a version or clone available for PC or Mac.

I reckon good Planetarium Software - like e.g. Stellarium, might help a bit. :)

Although more of a "video confirmation" - Perhaps this (all of a year ago!): 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/190728-first-ever-neptune-video-image/

But, the idea of star hopping via (remembered / found) *fainter* asterisms?

With good eyesight and patience (Or being younger than me? lol) you won't

really need all this electronica? I DID confirm it visually tho' (Honest Guv)! :p

It really is (to me anyway) quite notably BLUE. ;)

Archived