Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another collimation thread

First of all, is the Cheshire seated in the holder properly and the focuser wound all the way down?

I'd say the secondary needs shifting a wee tad to the left and down and then tweak the primary (looking at the second image).

It doesn't need to be tweaked that much...it depends which image you have posted here looks the most accurate to your eye. Third images renders the secondary more off centre than the second.

Still think that the secondary needs moving veeeeerrry slightly left and down. The primary is very nearly there too. You might find that the secondary adjustment might sort that out.

Trouble is, those tiny secondary tweaks can turn into large ones and you have to start all over again!!!  The air often turns blue when that happens to me. :D

It doesn't look too bad. What I'd do is block the primary out with a piece of card and then look through the cheshire to see if the secondary its central, ie so you can see an equal amount of the secondary inside the view of the cheshire and its crosshairs are in the middle. If it's not,rotate it until it is. Then with the card removed check you can see the mirror clips. It can be frustrating as you've discovered - :)

Ive done this a few times normally get it easy for some reason this time, i wondering if the 1mm steel washer and the 1mm PTFE washer is not giving me enough room to adjust the secondary that bit to get it just right. I will have another go in morning and post a picture thank you all.

Took a picture just through focuser show mirror centralised and round then through Cheshire, this looks like the mirror is a bit to one side must be the angle the camera was but looks better see what you think.

post-20428-0-62793600-1402482214_thumb.j

post-20428-0-89141200-1402482216_thumb.j

Did a star test a saw something very similar to this i dont think it looks right but i dont have a clue whats wrong i cant work out what the cut out bit is in the circle. I looked at the moon and the craters looked pin sharp and the circles look the same unfocused on the Star just dont know what that bit is thats missing.

post-20428-0-48219300-1402527107_thumb.j

Yes, most likely it is you focuser intruding. Try to defocus by racking out the focuser.

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish by star testing! Are you evaluating the optics or checking collimation?

Regardless, you are doing it the wrong way. To star test you need to be at high magnification and defocus enough to see few rings (2 to 4 rings)

Jason

Yes, most likely it is you focuser intruding. Try to defocus by racking out the focuser.

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish by star testing! Are you evaluating the optics or checking collimation?

Regardless, you are doing it the wrong way. To star test you need to be at high magnification and defocus enough to see few rings (2 to 4 rings)

Jason

150p 4mm then and yes collimation thank you.

Archived