Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 1000d/1100d

Need help on this one. I am going to get my camera tomorrow and still cannot decide between the Canon 1000d or the 1100 d. I've noticed the canon 1000d can only go to 1600 on ISO, would this be a problem? I would prefer the 1000d. Your help and advice would be much appreciated.

Steve,

Are you trying to buy new or second hand - i only ask as the 1000D has been out of production for a couple of years or so and the 1100D is also recently out of production although some outlets still have old stock they are trying to clear.  This site amy help with the prices that you should be paying:  http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-1100D-Body

I have both cameras (my 1000D is "modded" for DSO work) and I would say that overall the 1100D is the more versitile and certainly has a more sensitive sensor than the 1000D.

Hi Roger, thank you for your quick reply. The cameras I am looking at are both second hand. Described as mint and both have a 6 months warrenty. The 1100d will be pushing my budget to the limit as have just bought my first scope. I had hoped to buy a new 1100d, but that would really be pushing my luck. The scope will be used in S.W.France, so light pollution not a problem. I just dont want to make a mistake for the sake of about £30.

Regards.

Steve.

Given the greater sensitivity of the sensor I would go for the 1100D, everything else being equal.  The trouble with astronomy is that you spend most of your time trying to photograph very dark objects against a black background!!

With second hand I would ask for the number of actuations (number of shots) each camera you are interested in has taken.

I am very happy with my 1100d for general use only taken the Moon really for night work as no suitable tripod here for DSO.

I have used my Nexus tablet connected to it to help with night time focusing on stars in wide field images.

Archived