Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS settings help

Hi,

Like others, I have been inspired to have a go at a close up of the iss on tonights pass. I will be using my C9.25 @ f10 with a QHY5L either colour or mono, manually tracked. I have an illuminated RACI & A telrad to help.

Anyone got any exposure settings to use as a starting point? I was thinking of using Mars to get a rough exposure, does this sound like a good idea?

Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

from my experience from the last couple of nights using my QHY5L-ii and firecapture....

set your gain to 495, set your exposure to 0.150ms, focus on the moon as its a lot easier it will be up during the day, if not focus on saturn its a bigger object to focus on rather then mars and see how you get on with that mate :) its a tricky but enjoyable challenge to say the least, here was my attempt from last night

post-23929-0-28729400-1402230840.png

Thanks guys.

Ting, that's a great shot! Is your cam colour or mono?

Thank you kindly :)

yes my QHY is the mono version, i used a x2 barlow for the capture settings above also

i found it very hard to process due to lack of frames to stack where the position of it changes so much from frame to frame, thats why its so noisy

the above was captured with about 10-15fps, these are my own notes i have wrote down to try next time, which might help you

"set exposrue to around 0.150ms

set gain to around 495
have a smaller resolution (NOT MAX) to get higher FPS (at least 40fps), if needs be try without barlow"

Great ISS capture tingting. Are you imaging at the same focal ratio as the OP? Otherwise the exposure settings will be different.

Thanks buddy!

DOH! i didnt see the op was imaging with a C9.25 :( the settings will have to be disregarded then wont they.... :(

i was imaging with my 130-pds @ F10 (x2 barlow)

Thanks buddy!

DOH! i didnt see the op was imaging with a C9.25 :( the settings will have to be disregarded then wont they.... :(

i was imaging with my 130-pds @ F10 (x2 barlow)

As you were at f10 also, then the settings are of some use. Many thanks.

As you were at f10 also, then the settings are of some use. Many thanks.

Great, glad i could be of some help then :D good luck and all the best for tonight, i wish i could have another go but have to have an early one for work, let us know how you get on, and really hope you get atleast a few frames with the space station in :)

For me i'll stick to taking a movie and grabbing a still frame from that. I dig the manual panning he does here in the video. Old school is the way in this case.

thats how i captured the ISS, took a movie (AVI) with my QHY5L-ii, manual panned with my scope (like an anti air craft gun) and dug out the single frames (old school) haha :D

Great, glad i could be of some help then :D good luck and all the best for tonight, i wish i could have another go but have to have an early one for work, let us know how you get on, and really hope you get atleast a few frames with the space station in :)

thats how i captured the ISS, took a movie (AVI) with my QHY5L-ii, manual panned with my scope (like an anti air craft gun) and dug out the single frames (old school) haha :D

How did you keep it in view? I've tried, and was all over the place!

Alexxx

How did you keep it in view? I've tried, and was all over the place!

Alexxx

i kept it in view with my trusty old telrad, ive read that people have said that the telrad is not accurate enough and to use a RACI but it done me ok, well i did only get about 25 frames out of 4000'ish with the ISS in but it only takes one good frame

that is a cracking ISS image, Martin, I didn't even know it was possible. 

Will have to have a go at sometime, though I'm pretty certain I'd miss it - I like the video though, guiding the scope with a stick...

Thank you buddy :) 

dont put put ya self down befor you have tried it, like I've said before if I can do it anyone can

Going to try tonight got a great image thanks to Martin's advice. As I use the qhy5l-II and firecapture. I haven't tried with a barlow yet. I have standard 2x barlow, and 3x barlow. The 3 x barlow is a higher quality, but think it's too much. May just try the 2x and see if I can keep it in view. Tricky enough with a barlow on first attempt. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to try tonight got a great image thanks to Martin's advice. As I use the qhy5l-II and firecapture. I haven't tried with a barlow yet. I have standard 2x barlow, and 3x barlow. The 3 x barlow is a higher quality, but think it's too much. May just try the 2x and see if I can keep it in view. Tricky enough with a barlow on first attempt. Lol

Sweeeeeeeeeet! thats great to know :)

defo risk a x2 and x3 barlow, if you dont try you dont know, your pic is about the same size as mine, i used a x2 barlow so no reason you cant do it, you only need to grab one frame out of thousands,  i think the odds are in your favor  :D and if not, nothing lost  :)

atureryt.jpg

I used the 3x barlow but under exposed in firecapture it seems and had to increase gain in PIPP to recover anything so the image is very noisy.

Only my second attempt. Hope for another run soon when weather is clear.

Archived