Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How big are these dobs?

Hey :)

Considering adding a SkyWatcher 200P or 250PX to my collection and have a couple of questions, if I may. Looking at the pics on FLO the base appears to be the same...is it? How big is the base in terms of diameter, and, upright, how tall are these dobs? I know the length of the tubes but am not sure, when mounted, how high off the ground they sit and thus what are their overall heights? Not a problem observing wise, just trying to form an appreciation of overall size in order to determine if I've actually got space to store one.

Don't particularly want to mess around with a Flex Tube.

Thanks in advance :)

Brilliant!

Apologies.

Don't worry about that mate, trying to dig up or find older threads is a nightmare as they get buried with the newer ones :smiley:

Good luck with your dob, maybe pop into a retailer to see them, it can be quite a shock seeing this stuff first hand !

Thanks Jabeoo :)

Having looked at videos on YouTube, courtesy of Peter, they don't seem to be as big as I feared. But as you say, the only way to be really sure is to see one in the flesh. Am at the IAS at Warwick tomorrow so may be lucky enough to see one first hand.

Cheers all.

Scopes are funny items. They look small in shops or at star parties, then, when they turn up in your living room they look like giant leviathans that will take over the house. After you take them outside they shrink again, finally after a few months even large scopes seem smaller and smaller until they've become "that little thing" in the corner of the room.

This is when aperture fever starts :evil6:

Scopes are funny items. They look small in shops or at star parties, then, when they turn up in your living room they look like giant leviathans that will take over the house. After you take them outside they shrink again, finally after a few months even large scopes seem smaller and smaller until they've become "that little thing" in the corner of the room.

This is when aperture fever starts :evil6:

At first I thought the 10 inch I own looked very big in the room once I assembled it, but it seems to have shrunk over time as well   :grin:

At first I thought the 10 inch I own looked very big in the room once I assembled it, but it seems to have shrunk over time as well   :grin:

Afraid it's downhill all the way now Alex. You'll soon find yourself using the "swamp" system of weights and measures :evil5::eek::D

I thought it was only me... :) Once first assembled any Dob will look big, but will shrink over time :)

Nope, it's not only you. Same thing with me, the Dob looked really huge the first few weeks. Not so anymore (although my wife does disagree with me there).

Slightly bigger than the scopes the OP was asking about, but it might help anyway (or cause a bit of aperture fever):

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/194023-project-flextube/#entry2032111

Archived