NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO’S ASI120MC fisheye lens uses

alcol620

Hi folks

Soon to take delivery of the above camera. Any information on what can be done with the fish-eye lens that comes with the camera would be welcome.

PS: I have a Celestron 8SE so information relates to Az/Al mount.

Thanks

Mine arrived yesterday, havent had a chance to get out yet but looking forward to it.

The fish-eye lens works well, let me fire up the camera and have a play. You could use it if you were intending the camera for a CCTV cam i suppose or possibly some uber widefield shots of the sky without a scope but really it will have no use when connected to the scope.

It comes with a 1.25" nose piece so it just sits in the scope as an eyepiece would.

To give yousellf a rough idea of the shots you might get you can add you scope details and camera's chip details into stellarium and use the reticule tool to frame an object. Would give you a better idea of what to expect.

Hi Alan

Thanks for response. Bit disappointing, I thought the fish-eye might be useful for some astro shots of some sort. Thanks for the comment re Stellarium, will give that a try.

Alec

This is the 'all sky lens' that comes with it no?

I would imagine you would at least be able to do some time lapse work and probably some meteor detection too with it. At least I hope so as that would be my plan if I could figure it out when I get the mono cam.

I think I have seen a thread with something like that before, I'll try and dig it up.

The other question I have with the lens is can it be adapted for other cameras?

This is the 'all sky lens' that comes with it no?

I would imagine you would at least be able to do some time lapse work and probably some meteor detection too with it. At least I hope so as that would be my plan if I could figure it out when I get the mono cam.

I think I have seen a thread with something like that before, I'll try and dig it up.

The other question I have with the lens is can it be adapted for other cameras?

I'm planning on building a raspberry Pi CCTV system, i'm hoping to be able to use that lens for that

I have the 120MM, the fish eye lens is T2 male thread so easy to fit to other things. The fish eye also has a small focus locking screw.

The camera itself fits a 2" focuser tube and also has a T2 female thread.

The adaptor in the box goes from the T2 on the camera to a 1.25" nose piece.

I haven't used the fish eye for anything but testing yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks for responses, sounds very interesting.

So do you simply set the camera up to look skyward and let it record. What do you use to capture and what settings. Presumably no telescope required?

Regards

Alec

Archived