Hello from Canberra

Lacaille

Thanks all for the warm welcome!  Yes, the skies are good over Canberra, but I am hoping this year to make a road trip with the telescope (Celestron 8SE) to the edge of the desert  -  Coonabarabran/ Siding Springs where the professionals have some big optical telescopes -  on the assumption that the seeing will be even better.

Yeah, it's great up there. I've got ties to Narrabri (brother in law). siding springs was pretty lucky with the fires last yr (or was it the year before). they share a lot of data with Jodrell Bank (Nr Manchester).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the welcome messages.  Though a long time Australian resident, I come from Lancashire so I sympathise with all those of you wishing for our skies here!  Having said that, the last few nights have been a bit Lancastrian! 

Auspom, the Siding Springs fire was Jan 2013 and it was a very near thing; Mount Stromlo Observatory outside Canberra went ten years before in the 2003 fires that took a lot of our suburb and almost our house.

Archived