Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Virtual drive in Linux?

Gasman

Hi folks

I'm trying to get some windows apps running under Wine in Linux but no luck yet and I'm tempted to try my luck running them on a virtual drive but I've no idea how to go about it,anyone point me to a tut or something on the virtual stuff please?.

Thanks

Steve

Cheers for that, so I create a virtual drive do I then reinstall windows on this virtual drive and then the apps I want or does the virtual drive emulate windows or?????.

best

Steve

What are you trying to run under Wine?

Hi David

I want to mainly use ISIS and BASS which are spectroscopy packages!. There is a Linux equivalent called IRAF which I gather has quite a steep learning curve and is on the `todo` list but I`d like to use software I`m familiar with for now :smiley: I nearly managed to run another windows spectro package called Rspec but it froze!.

cheers

Steve

Not packages I am familiar with running.

I've not used VMWare but use VirtualBox to run some applications in a virtual machine (PIPP for example which refuses to run under Wine if you use a 64 bit OS). It is dead easy to use. If your using Ubuntu or a clone thereof it is in the repo's.

I've not used VMWare but use VirtualBox to run some applications in a virtual machine (PIPP for example which refuses to run under Wine if you use a 64 bit OS). It is dead easy to use. If your using Ubuntu or a clone thereof it is in the repo's.

That is interesting, I did not realise that PIPP would not run under Wine with 64 bit versions of Linux.  I have no idea why that is the case but come to think of it I do not have a 64 bit Linux machine set up.  Though PIPP does run under Wine on my MacBook which has a 64 bit OS.

Anyway, this problem should go away when I finally finish PIPP v3 which will run natively on Windows, Linux and OS X; no more wrestling with Wine.

Cheers,

Chris

Anyway, this problem should go away when I finally finish PIPP v3 which will run natively on Windows, Linux and OS X; no more wrestling with Wine.

Cheers,

Chris

All hail multi-platform developers... we need more like that :D

Cheers,

Chris

That would be absolutely fantastic :) PIPP running natively on my Linux box would save me a lot of hassle.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

All hail multi-platform developers... we need more like that :D

The multi-platform development is not actually very tricky if you plan it from the start.  Unfortunately PIPP had 2+ years worth of C# code written for it before I looked into getting it running on Linux and OS X.  Oh well, the work to replace the C# code with Qt C++ code is well under-way now and I have quite enjoyed getting up to speed with Qt.

Cheers,

Chris

That is interesting, I did not realise that PIPP would not run under Wine with 64 bit versions of Linux.  I have no idea why that is the case but come to think of it I do not have a 64 bit Linux machine set up.  Though PIPP does run under Wine on my MacBook which has a 64 bit OS.

Cheers,

Chris

Look forward to that Chris. I have come to depend quite heavily on PIPP so was a bit of a blow when I moved to 64 bit. Have tried every trick I can find but cannot get it to work.

Have you tried creating a 32-bit wineprefix to run the 32-bit applications in?

It is described in section 7.2 on this page:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

Cheers,

Chris

Archived