NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi guys 

I have upgraded to an 8 inch dobsonian I feel that my EP need upgrading. I currently am using the Orbinar Plossl eyepieces which are very good for my old setup but I don't think they reach the bar now. I have looked into the Revelation eyepiece kit but would this be a wasted investment. If so what eyepieces do you guys recommend.

Astro man 

My suggestion is not rushing into buying som EPs for upgrade. give some more time with the ones your have in your new 8" dob, look at the objects you've viewed with 114LCM or the ones you've tried to find but failed. you have a fully useful focal length EPs for your new scope, Orbinar plossls maybe not the best plossls, but I doubt that you can get substantial improvement by upgrading to some eyepiece kit.

astro man........Hi,  If your still not happy with your EP's after  trying them on the 8", any of the EP's in my signature will work very well on your scope. They look and feel great, great wide views, just look at the eye glass  on them! with  good eye relief, bettering the higher powered Plossl's.

I said any lens, but forget my SW 10 & 25mm. Just check out the BST's. 

I have a bunch of entry level eyepieces.

Three orbinar Plössl, two Erfle, HR Planetary, a Seben/Orbinar and a TS Zoom, and the "gold line".

On f/6 the best bang for the buck are the gold line.

Nice wide angle views, sharpness is decent at f/6, and they are almost as cheap as Plössl.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wide-angle-eyepiece-1-25inches-66-degree-F-6mm-/140717462903?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item20c36a1577

They are available in 6, 9, 15, 20mm. Unfortunately not any larger.

For a 8"f/6 Telescope I would get the 6mm and 15mm, giving you 200x that works on planets most of the time, and if you are into tinkering you can change the distance of the bottom element to get more magnification.

The 15mm will give you a bit over 2mm exit pupil, ideal for many deep-sky-objects.

As an overview eyepiece, a 2" 32mm TSWA, or the 3080 eyepiece will be nice. Erfle eyepieces on f/6 are okey and a great value. Their wide angle view will show so much more then the 1,25" Plössl.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APM-UWA-30mm-80-Teleskop-Okular-Ultraweitwinkel-2-Multivergutet-/130903905941?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Okulare&hash=item1e7a7b1695 I forgot which UK vendor has those, but there is at leas one.

It also depends on your night sky which exit pupil you may be able to use. If you have very dark skies, a 36mm Erfle might be even better, but with a 30mm you are "on the safe side".

Seben/Orbinar has 1.25" Erfle too, the eye relief of the 12mm was a bit low, I would favor the 66deg gold lines.

Their zoom is not bad either, but the cheap zooms in general have such a narrow field on one side of their setting, that they are not really worth it.

Astrotzoom.de has a few great zooms that keep their wide field view.

The BST are nice, even show a bit more field then the HR Planetaty I have, but at high magnifications around/over 200x 60deg apparent field of view is a bit of troublesome occasionally as planets move quickly out of view.

If you are ready to invest more, the Explore Scientific 82 degree are awesome. Even usable if you upgrade to a f/5 or f/4.7 scope in the future.

As you seem to have a fair selection of eyepieces: 6mm, 10mm, 25mm, 30mm and you say they are plossl's I cannot see much point in the Revelation set. The Revelations will be plossl's as well and if better they will not be greatly better. Sort of worst case is that the Orbinar's are rebranded Revelation/GSO ones.

4 BST's would be an idea but that means paying out £200 in effect (£49 each), either in one go or other a few months.

Perhaps consider the 8mm or 15mm BST and see what you think of it's performance. See you have a 10mm and 25mm so a 15mm would squeeze inbetween.

Then decide if you think getting additional ones is a good prospect for you.

If you went for 4 then 5mm, 8mm, 15mm (or 12mm) and the 25mm.

Celestrons are about the same in focal lengths, cost is £64 for these.

astro man........Hi,  If your still not happy with your EP's after  trying them on the 8", any of the EP's in my signature will work very well on your scope. 

Or mine!  :grin: Slightly more eclectic and no good if you're into buying all the same make, but the 2nd hand market is a very good option.

However, as Yikes has said, take your time, don't rush into anything.

Archived