NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars moons

Just a quick one if anyone knows. The two Mars moons I know are nothing from the size point of view  but is it possible to see them with our type of gear of does it require the VLT.

Some nice subtle detail on the disc tonight with the 180mm Mak at X270, really was rather nice.

Alan

Just looking at SkySafari, it give Phobos as mag 13.2 and Deimos as 14.1.

Phobos has a max elongation from Mars of only about 1 Martian diameter and Deimos in the region of 3 or 4 diameters.

Quite a challenge visually.

Thanks, everyone,

Paul I recall that Fullerscopes Mount of yours, always wanted one but never had the money in those days. Bomb proof!

Alan

They sure are.

Mine got vandalised in the back yard of our old house. The nice boys from next door smashed off the RA and DEC motors and left it uncovered.

By the time I found out it was in a sorry state. It's still functional but needs a re-furb to regain it's good looks. Maybe one day I'll get round to it!

Steve, This to me sounds like a task for the 20 inch Swamp Dob! Alan

:) I leave that to you Akan. Planets and me.......nah.

Still hunting for that occulting bar piece :confused: can't seem to find it.

Archived