NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tue.....6/5/14

Gorgeous morning here and my first of 2 nights off :-)

All the action on the sun today seems to be on the right side. Nice prom at 2o'clock and a triple at 4 o'clock. A prom at 12 o'clock, 2 think whisps like the letter v.

Dosent seem to be many filaments today? Someone with a better scope could correct me on that.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clouds have stopped play now :(

Like I said all the action is really proms especially the one which is arching,at the moment it looks like watching fireworks from a distance ( yeah 93 million of them :-) lol it was changing fairly rapidly too. Sorry you guys are clouded out,it's going to be on and off for me today.

I'm not even out of my work clothes yet,I just dashed in and grabbed the scope.

Good stuff this morning at 0840am as already reported. A few minutes glimpse with a PST before the clouds rolled in. Don't forget, you can follow all the action on GONG, refreshed every minute.  :smiley:

Good stuff this morning at 0840am as already reported. A few minutes glimpse with a PST before the clouds rolled in. Don't forget, you can follow all the action on GONG, refreshed every minute.  :smiley:

Wow, I didn't realise it was refreshed every minute! :embarassed:

That's on the main multiple page where at least a couple of the scopes are in action. It gets better, you can click on the various icons and playback what you have missed. Be sure to use the slowdown button or you'll miss it again!  :smiley:

WOW......Just witnessed an eruptive prom.....it's at 3 o'clock and it started small,nipped in for 4 mins max to make a brew and when I came out.....it was huge....came off the surface at least 3 times as much as the prom the other day.

Almost as I was watching it,it thinned out still stretching away from the limb. .....NOTHING BUT SPECTACULAR

Whipped out the PST and I can see the aftermath too.

I caught a flare going off with the PST and simultaneously its effect of Very Low Frequency radio last year, solar observing can be very exciting. We're spoilt for online solar observation too now. You can't beat the real thing IMO though.

My wife wasn't interested either, but that's what SGL is for ;-))

It was an eruptive prominence Skem, by the sounds of it.  It could have been as a result of a flare sending plasma off the limb at an astonishing rate.  A flare is seen as an intense brightening somewhere on the solar disk or limb; an eruptive prominence is a fast moving cloud of plasma extending from the limb into space and probably breaking away from the limb in the end.  Hope that clarifies.

Sick as a dog I'm clouded out!

It was an eruptive prominence Skem, by the sounds of it. It could have been as a result of a flare sending plasma off the limb at an astonishing rate. A flare is seen as an intense brightening somewhere on the solar disk or limb; an eruptive prominence is a fast moving cloud of plasma extending from the limb into space and probably breaking away from the limb in the end. Hope that clarifies.

Sick as a dog I'm clouded out!

thanks umbraldot,that explains it well. I have a book coming in the post called "new eyes on the sun",hopefully that will explain a few things.

Archived