Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bank Holiday Monday Sun

Pig

Well with the Pronto sold I only have the Lunt at the moment, hopefully the new scope will turn up soon :smiley:

A very bright orange disc this morning that isn't as busy as we have seen lately.

It was quite clear when I first started writing this but it has turned a little hazy.

Prominences

There looks to have been a flare at around the 3 O'clock position as I can see quite a few fine wisps that have been up to something and they are quite a distance from the surface.

There is quite a spectacular fountain spurting out around the 5 O'clock position, a smaller one at about 6 O'clock.

It also look like something may be about to start around the 8 O'clock position so I will keep my eye on that.

Sunspots

Without the Pronto thus no scope to put my wedge into these are not as detailed. However, by tuning the etalon all the way to the left I can still see the usual culprits spread along the centre from east to west. Very nice indeed.

Surface detail

Granulation is looking good with lots of moustaches swirling around, the bright plage areas are vey clear this morning.

I love not having to work, long live the bank holidays. If I didn't have to work solar observing would be what I would do as I could do this all day long without getting bored :laugh:

I hope you all get a few sessions in today :smiley:

Hello Shaun - you're catching the sun early this morning! You are obviously enjoying the Lunt. If I read many more of your posts you'll have me tempted!

Still clear blue here btw - the haze hasn't reached us yet

Kerry

Clouds are rolling in so I'm getting my fix :-)

I see the wispy cloud at 3o'clock but it's not connected to the surface,it's kind of strange to see it just hanging there.

Just waiting for the sun to rise a little more as I'm having to stand and it's making things shaky :(

Looks to be plenty going on again.

Morning Kerry,

I do like the morning sun and it puts me in a lovely harmonious mood for some reason :shocked: sets the day up nicely

Lovely morning here in Northants, fortunately the haze has cleared so I am back with lovely blue skies :smiley:

I am definitely enjoying the Lunt, I know you would love it too because you have a passion for astronomy, the sun is very dynamic and exciting to watch.

You are more than welcome to pop around and have a look through  it, just let me know and we can arrange something.

Skem,

The 3 O'clock prom is connected by a very fine line to a little prom toward the south, it is very fine though and it does look like its just floating there.

Certainly up bright and early Shaun :-).

No chance for me today, too many garden chores to do unfortunately but I look forward to your reports, hope it stays clear.

Which scope will be replacing your Pronto?

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly up bright and early Shaun :-).

No chance for me today, too many garden chores to do unfortunately but I look forward to your reports, hope it stays clear.

Which scope will be replacing your Pronto?

Cheers,

Stu

Stu I have bought an Equinox 80mm pro with the FLP 53.

I wanted to keep the dual set up I have and after careful consideration I think the larger aperture fracs were a tad heavy.

It was quite a sad moment packing and sending the Pronto away as it was responsible for my love of small refractors, you also played a part and have cost me a few quid :grin:

I hope the equinox is as good and works ok with the wedge,  the dual focus will also help for tuning the sunspots at high power :smiley:

I can't see that pig cos the haze is really bad now but probably yours is a better scope.

When you see clouds of plasma above the surface but NOT connected,does that mean there has been a flare?

Well there goes the sun,time to pack up and get some sleep,last shift tonight. Hopefully a better day tomorrow :-)

Hope you solar fans get a good look in today :-)

I can't see that pig cos the haze is really bad now but probably yours is a better scope.

When you see clouds of plasma above the surface but NOT connected,does that mean there has been a flare?

Well there goes the sun,time to pack up and get some sleep,last shift tonight. Hopefully a better day tomorrow :-)

Hope you solar fans get a good look in today :-)

I am not sure to be honest Skem :shocked:  it may be an indicator a flare has been discharged. The size of the magnetic charges involved is mind boggling massive and I would imagine almost anything is possible. :smiley:

Given the right set of circumstances I would also imagine a floater could be held in place, its just on this occasion I can see the side where the 3 O'clock is connected.

Update:

There has been quite an explosion just shy of the 12 O'clock position, looks like a loop is forming :smiley:

The 5 O'clock prominence is developing into quite a monster too.

The more I am using the Lunt zoom the better I can tune it, if you set it just right the proms jump right out at you :laugh:  most impressed with it

Stu I have bought an Equinox 80mm pro with the FLP 53.

I wanted to keep the dual set up I have and after careful consideration I think the larger aperture fracs were a tad heavy.

It was quite a sad moment packing and sending the Pronto away as it was responsible for my love of small refractors, you also played a part and have cost me a few quid :grin:

I hope the equinox is as good and works ok with the wedge, the dual focus will also help for tuning the sunspots at high power :smiley:

Ah yes, I remember now. The Equinox should be excellent, and will have less/no CA for lunar too. I'm sure it will be great with the wedge. I occasionally use my 106 with the wedge but the 76 is much more convenient and only needs the small mount and tripod.

I won't apologise for helping you spend the cash :-). I'm glad you are loving these refractors, I think they are hard to beat for giving wonderful crisp images and for being so easy and convenient to use.

Keep thinking I would like a TV85 to go between the 76 and the Genesis ;-)

Cheers,

Stu

Ah yes, I remember now. The Equinox should be excellent, and will have less/no CA for lunar too. I'm sure it will be great with the wedge. I occasionally use my 106 with the wedge but the 76 is much more convenient and only needs the small mount and tripod.

I won't apologise for helping you spend the cash :-). I'm glad you are loving these refractors, I think they are hard to beat for giving wonderful crisp images and for being so easy and convenient to use.

Keep thinking I would like a TV85 to go between the 76 and the Genesis ;-)

Cheers,

Stu

I have read quite a few reviews on the scope Stu, my only concern is the amount of back focus when using the 3-6mm Nagler zoom.

I am glad we talked about these small refractors as it has been quite a revelation to me, I think the wide field views achieved are what I was after when initially taking up stargazing :smiley:

I like having a couple of degrees of sky at my disposal, it is very relaxing on the eyes when you can fit something like the whole of the Pleiades in the eyepiece :laugh:

Thank you Prag,

Nice to see you have some clear skies, nice drawings by the way :smiley:

The 5 O'clock prom is quite busy but the one at 12 has almost gone and didn't develop into the beast that it could have done, all the same it was spectacular whilst it lasted :smiley:

I just popped out to the sauna / steam room and it was nice and sunny when I left :smiley:  I just got back and it is completely clouded over. :shocked:

I just popped out to the sauna / steam room and it was nice and sunny when I left :smiley: I just got back and it is completely clouded over. :shocked:

Crikey Shaun, I wish I was having your weekend, not mine; wine, relaxing in the sunshine, saunas/steam rooms, massages, sounds like really hard work ;-). (Sorry, I made the massages bit up for effect!)

This is the result of my weekend!

qa3u4upe.jpg

I think I deserve a sauna now! :-)

Cheers,

Stu

Morning Kerry,

I do like the morning sun and it puts me in a lovely harmonious mood for some reason :shocked: sets the day up nicely

Lovely morning here in Northants, fortunately the haze has cleared so I am back with lovely blue skies :smiley:

I am definitely enjoying the Lunt, I know you would love it too because you have a passion for astronomy, the sun is very dynamic and exciting to watch.

You are more than welcome to pop around and have a look through  it, just let me know and we can

I will take you up on that one day- thanks

Your more than welcome and you are not so far away I suspect  :smiley:

We might aswell wait until I get my new scope then you can also see the effect of white light through a wedge as apposed to the solar film, may as well kill two birds with one stone :laugh:

Sounds good. Let me know when you get it. Do you do any nighttime stuff now??

Yes Kerry, when the weather permits, I am a big fan of lunar observing :smiley:  I do like our two closest companions, the detail is just brilliant.

I have also took a liking to the wide field views given by the smaller refractors.

It was hazy here this morning (11:58)

Wight light better than the PST, but their are two spot groups at that limb where on Saturday there was a lot

leaving the surface (PST x 10mm), new bright prominences seemed to be erupting through a cloud of older dimmer stuff.

There is also a big fat Umbrae at the other limb so both sides could be losing lots of mass.

I used to live in Skem when I was a nipper.  I take my little refractor up when I go to see the family.

Now I know that the sun has started turning up there I'll start taking the PST.

Mick.

Archived