NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fitting an electric focuser to a SW MN190

g0ibi

I have a SW electric focuser from a previuos scope that I would like to fit to my SW MN190.

I've taken some photo's of the focuser fitted to scope focuser and the resulting gaps etc?

Can anyone advise me on doing this or the parts needed please?

post-14204-0-74656400-1399204301_thumb.j

post-14204-0-34493700-1399204321_thumb.j

post-14204-0-04794300-1399204335_thumb.j

Thanks

Ron

Ron

You are nearly there all you need to do is connect the focuser to the scope using a suitable L shaped bracket.  I did a similar mod to my scope, I think I used the bracket that came with the SW focuser  - involved some drilling into the OTA,.  I'll post some photographs tomorrow.

Jim

Ron,

Here's a few photographs showing how I rigged my electric focuser.  I can't remember if my focuser came with the bottom L shaped bracket or if that was something I had lying around.  If you don't have the bottom bracket you should be able to fashion something relatively easily from a right angle bracket from the DIY stores.  Drilling into the OTA was a bit scary - I removed the mirror cell first - didn't trust myself!  Hope this helps.

http://1drv.ms/1q7HSUu

Jim

Dave,

Funny you mention that.  I was in Toys R Us yesterday looking for a scooter for my daughter's birthday and to my surprise there was Meccano on the shelf.  Meccano Evolution I think it was called - very posh too with a remote control sand dune type buggy.  My daughter couldn't be convinced so a scooter it had to be.  But I have my eyes on that Meccano set :smiley:

Jim

Jim, only problem I have is that the scope is a MN190, a newt with a big piece of glass at the front! So drilling is out I'm afaid!

I have fashioned a bracket from a piece of angled alloy I found in my shed, if it works I'll put a photo up!

Buy the meccano, with all these cloudy nights it will give you something to do!! :laugh:

Cheers

Ron

I have my electric focuser attached to the finder bracket but this is a timing belt driven pulley driven from a stepper motor rather than the DC motor SW focuser.  Might give you another idea though.  HTH :)

Ah I see the difficulty now Ron, I guess removing the corrector for access is not something you would readily want to do.  I suspect then Gina's solution or something similar is your best bet.  From your picture the focuser base plate looks pretty close - would it be feasible or practicable to use that as a mounting position?  The only other suggestion I can see to avoid drilling into the OTA would be a band or strap around the tube - almost like a tube mounting ring.  Hope you can get something sorted - I love the difference the electric focuser makes.

Gina, Ron

Re the meccano, both of my girls have really fallen for Lego.  Some of the sets you can get these days are amazing, the ones which follow on the back of the big movies like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and the Hobbit got the girls hooked.  At Christmas we blew some of our hard earned Tesco points and got them a Lego Mindstorm set - it has a programmable brick and various add on sensors to allow you to build robots and motorised projects.  I must admit, my wife was a bit sceptical that it was just the girls we were buying it for!  But it's been great watching them discover the joy of building devices to solve problems - a great toy all round.

Jim

Working on it tomorrow (weather permitting!) as the scope is mounted in an obsy. Got some angle alloy, drills, measurements and a bit of time to kill!  :laugh:

Archived