Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My findings tonight

So I was able to see Jupiter, a comet, the moon, the Eskimo nebula, the southern pinwheel galaxy and no luck getting Saturn. The Eskimo nebula and pinwheel galaxy I wasn't even trying for. I also took a day trip to Alamogordo New Mexico to see the space meusem and planetarium for some extra credit. I did chance upon finding out about a star party that happens every month there and had we been more prepared we would have tried it out. Next month we will for sure plan for it. (Pack more bottles for baby, more snacks for us etc) over all I found the experience pretty nice. Oh I also picked up a good book yesterday called stars and planets.

Cutepetgroomer, I avoid envy. But ooh it's difficult when I read posts like yours! And all I can see are clouds.

Nevertheless, enjoy (he wrote through clenched teeth...).

Sounds like a great night! I was out doing some yard work around 7:00pm and saw a nice crescent moon. Took my setup out of the garage and got some decent daytime images of the moon. Haven't been out in almost 2 weeks so it was nice to at least set everything up. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and clear around 11pm so hopefully I can get back out for a proper session.

• 3 months later...

If uk weather translates to rain and clouds that's where I live for July August and beginning of September. I spent two weeks recently nothing but clouds , last night was a welcome break . Btw what month is Jupiter more easily seen at night ? Just curious .

I've just had a play around on Stelarium and it seems we will have to wait until December before Jupiter will be high enough in the south east to be clearly visible around midnight. According to this month's Sky at Night Magazine it will be rising at around 4am by mid September so for those who are happy to stay up all night you will be able to observe it in the early hours once the days start to shorten. It will be in prime position for late evening viewing in the first quarter or 2015.

Archived