NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Seashell galaxy region (Centaurus)

Martin Meredith

A parting shot from the south before returning to the cloudy north.

This was a happy accident, the GOTO equivalent of spotting something interesting while star-hopping. In this case instead of entering NGC5921 (a mag 10.8 spiral in Serpens) I typed in NGC5291 and got a 14.1 elliptical and its 14.8 mag spiral companion -- the Seashell galaxy -- in Centaurus at around 22 deg. Not only that, but the whole field is full of galaxies of various magnitudes. In the image below (60s exposure) I've marked the brightest, IC4329, but compare with the DSS image (obtained via ALADIN) and you'll see what I mean. I'm guessing this is a well-known field in the southern hemisphere?

post-11492-0-08556700-1399120495_thumb.p

post-11492-0-90517700-1399120530_thumb.p

post-11492-0-55658100-1399120550.png

The inset (from the ALADIN image, not mine!) shows why the fainter companion (PGC48894) is called the Seashell, though to me it looks more like an ear  :smiley: .

Martin

The inset ... shows why the fainter companion (PGC48894) is called the Seashell, though to me it looks more like an ear  :smiley: .

The Ear galaxy just doesn't have the same ring to it :grin:

I'm guessing this is a well-known field in the southern hemisphere?
Martin

Yes Martin, known, but not observed or imaged much because of the Centaurus Galaxy Cluster is right next door to it  :grin:

You've done well again!

M83 is right at where you just imaged  :smiley:  Should look great in your camera.

Yes Martin, known, but not observed or imaged much because of the Centaurus Galaxy Cluster is right next door to it  :grin:

You've done well again!

M83 is right at where you just imaged  :smiley:  Should look great in your camera.

Thanks Ken. That's the thing with mistaken NGC entries, you never know what's next door! I can imagine it as a new sport, entering random NGC numbers...

I imaged M83 on another thread -- that's one beautiful spiral! Now I"m back 'up north' it returns to be a more challenging object, but still doable.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Archived