NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi folks;

I tried a few runs the other night.  The seeing conditions were very good.  I was using my 9.25 sct, dbk21 and 2.5x powermate.  Here is a frame from one run and I did try (sharpcap) twiddling with numerous settings.  I used yuy2 rgb24, 30fps. Not sure other than focus issue what I have done wrong(?)  I can't wait to try out the new ZWO camera I have on order, but am hoping SGL members can help me resolve issues that I'm having.

Thank you all again

Cheers

Roger

post-2315-0-86146700-1399055406_thumb.jp

Thanks Peter...I was just twiddling with focusser.....enlarging the live view to try for better focus. I do have an electric focusser attachment but this time didn't use it.  I forgot...these were settings..exposure 5, brightness 34, hue 163, saturation 88, gamma 58, and gain 794.

I do have a home made bahtinov mask, but have not used it yet.  I was concerned about trying to find Mars again (with powermate or barlow attatched) after focussing on a star(?)

Cheers

Roger

Thanks Peter...I was just twiddling with focusser.....enlarging the live view to try for better focus. I do have an electric focusser attachment but this time didn't use it.  I forgot...these were settings..exposure 5, brightness 34, hue 163, saturation 88, gamma 58, and gain 794.

I do have a home made bahtinov mask, but have not used it yet.  I was concerned about trying to find Mars again (with powermate or barlow attatched) after focussing on a star(?)

Cheers

Roger

What Mount do you have? If you have a GoTo Mount, then it shouldn't be a problem when it's aligned.  Focus on Bright star. Lock Focus. Then move to Mars.

had worse
if mars is low it can be a pig to focus on
I generally use a star or Jupiter (esp its moons) then move over
I've found if you try to chase with manual you will never get it right
thats why I ordered the Auto focus USB adapter

I have tried manually focusing on Mars - it's futile unless the conditions are perfect. Use a mask, focus on a nearby bright star then swing to Mars. It can still be difficult to find even with GOTO. Once you find it, try to remember your exposure settings for next time. I find it easier to use my Canon as it gives a wider field of view and you can apply a 5X digital zoom if you are using Backyard EOS.

Peter

Two things come to mind looking at your post. I'm not sure of your latitude there but if Mars is very low for you it's not going to make imaging easy.

Secondly, you say this is just one image from your video. Then I feel this is what you would expect. If you run the video through PIPP you can remove many of the poorer images in the run before stacking them in something like AS!2. Then more processing of wavelets in Registax. That's the usual route.

I think you might be surprised at what you actually have...You just need to extract it. You certainly have the tools to get the data.

HTH

Steve

Roger, I'd also have to agee with Steve - good result for a single frame. Stacking and wavelets will tease a lot more from your captures. I use PIPP a lot, but AS!2 does a very good sort and stack on its own.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Archived