Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A question of balance

smudgeball

Hi

A question that has bugged me for a while.

I have a twin saddle bar setup with two scopes, one for imaging, one for guiding, plus dslr, qhy5 , cabling etc.

To obtain balance I'm using 1 x 5Kg weight.

But the weight position is right at the end of the bar (I don't have an extension bar with my neq6 pro)

Would I be better using say 1 x 5kg weight + 1 x 2.5kg weight and moving them up the bar towards the mount ?

i.e. keep the scope equipment and weights as close to the centre of the mount as possible ?

I hope that made sense ?

Regards

Neil

I am by no means an expert Neil, but I would think that you are less likely to get flexure in the counterweight bar the further up it the weights are. Less likely to get any vibrations too. Like an ice skater in a spin, the closer everything is to the centre of rotation, the faster (meaning easier in the case of the mount) the spin and presumably less strain on the motors and gears.

You can't win. To move the weights up the bar you need to have more of them. Once the system is in balance the inertia is exactly the same whether you have two weights on a short bar or one on a long one. There is a case to be made for a short bar but there is also a case to made for having less weight on the mount. As far as the motors are concerned there can be no difference since the physics has to be equivalent.

Olly

Ultimately I must get a mount upgrade (probably when the EQ6 finally gives up!)

It shouldn't be a long wait with a couple of hundredweight hanging off it... :-)

Mine is a little less stressed out...

IMG_0325_zps523dddc8.jpg

Chris

Archived