Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CAD software

Dave_D

I use " Vectric Aspire" a good program , it works out the tool paths for you and load onto my cnc mill

Lenny

looks good but i don't have a cnc mill :(

i have a mighty fine hammer though  :grin:

Is there any freeware 3D package that will open .stp files? Our design team uses ProEngineer but they don't like to help when e.g. Mould makers send in tool GA's to discuss and I can't even open the files to view them. It isn't worth spending for another ProE licence but sometimes is a pain.

In a previous life I used AutoCad on a daily basis for producing working drawings for my (then) shopfitting business.

Still have a load of DWG files somewhere but not had a copy of AutoCad since packing it in.

I might just download this software if only to reminisce !! 

So I did download DraftSight :)

Very impressed so far. I've been looking at some of my old drawings and although it's 8 years since I last used AutoCad in anger I very soon found my way round.

I'd forgotten how much of my time was spent drawing.

Yes, it  does feel very much like AutoCad, which is a big bonus.

Not that I need any Cad work doing just now. Though I suppose I could start designing an observatory ready for when we eventually down-size and hopefully move to a more rural location :)

Is there any freeware 3D package that will open .stp files? Our design team uses ProEngineer but they don't like to help when e.g. Mould makers send in tool GA's to discuss and I can't even open the files to view them. It isn't worth spending for another ProE licence but sometimes is a pain.

If you only want to view the .stp files you could try stpviewer http://stpviewer.com/

Archived