Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tues 20140429 observation

Umbraldot

Lovely calm, still, sunny morning here, perfect observing conditions.

A quiet disk observed. 5 sunspot groups, 2 north, 3 south, R = 67. Largest group on the disk AR2049 a nice defined bi polar group with a symmetrical penumbral leader and asymmetrical penumbral follower.

In H-alpha a nice fila-prom was seen over the NE limb NE of AR2050. A small prominence hearth of three elements was on the NW limb and a fine low loop was on the SW limb near to the approaching AR2045. 4 countable prominences; 9 filaments. Plage was seen with AR2047 and AR2049.

post-36463-0-26239400-1398761230_thumb.j

Nice report, I only wish I could see what you are seeing.

Pouring down here, however Saturday looks like it could be a cracker this side of the North Sea. Here's hoping....

Clouded up here now too. Glad I got out early!

Been out for the last hour being TOTAL GOBSMACKED with the views,by far the best observing conditions I've had.....

There are proms all over but the biggest at 8 o'clock I've been most interested in. Put in my 6mm bco and focused......OMG...my first BIG WOW moment. Beautiful detail,it seems so delicate suspended above the solar surface against the pitch black background. I just watched for a good 30 mins. Various other proms are popping up,there one around 1 o'clock which at one point resembled an oak tree....really delicate in structure.

Also I want help on my terminology here? The sunspots at 10 o'clock,I could clearly see the umbra and surrounding it was a brighter area....Is this called a plage? It's just that I've seen a plage the other day but it didn't have a spot in it. The other REALLY interesting thing about this active area (whilst I was watching over a period of around 20 mins) was 3 amazingly bright tiny dots appeared,as time went on 3 became 2 and 2 into 1 and now that's faded....what are those?

It's the busiest I've seen the sun so far....AND I WOULDNT MISS IT for the world :-) it's really amazing stuff and by far the most fantastic sites,I've seen looking through an eyepiece.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Been out for the last hour being TOTAL GOBSMACKED with the views,by far the best observing conditions I've had.....

There are proms all over but the biggest at 8 o'clock I've been most interested in. Put in my 6mm bco and focused......OMG...my first BIG WOW moment. Beautiful detail,it seems so delicate suspended above the solar surface against the pitch black background. I just watched for a good 30 mins. Various other proms are popping up,there one around 1 o'clock which at one point resembled an oak tree....really delicate in structure.

Also I want help on my terminology here? The sunspots at 10 o'clock,I could clearly see the umbra and surrounding it was a brighter area....Is this called a plage? It's just that I've seen a plage the other day but it didn't have a spot in it. The other REALLY interesting thing about this active area (whilst I was watching over a period of around 20 mins) was 3 amazingly bright tiny dots appeared,as time went on 3 became 2 and 2 into 1 and now that's faded....what are those?

It's the busiest I've seen the sun so far....AND I WOULDNT MISS IT for the world :-) it's really amazing stuff and by far the most fantastic sites,I've seen looking through an eyepiece.

Nice report, you make me want to dash out with the scope again!

To try and answer your Q's (and it's always difficult to be certain as I haven't seen what you've seen), the bright areas are H alpha plage. They can be associated with active areas, and filaments or just exist by itself. It's always worth keeping an eye on developing plage as it could be a sunspot will emerge. Plage can also linger after a sunspot group has faded.

Sometimes an area of plage can suddenly brighten and develop into a flare. If there is no associated sunspot group it's called a Hyder flare. The bright spots you saw could be mini flares with the rather exotic name of Ellerman bombs. Montana recently imaged these in white light which is rare indeed and exceedingly powerful ones at that.

Brightening and fading of plage is a sign of an active area of plage and worth watching in case a flare erupts. Some times it can tease all day and then die down, such are the joys!

Wow......many thanks for that umbraldot...you know your stuff :-) apart from the internet (which I don't have,I just use my phone) can you recommend any books? Which are not too technical but are not too basic either. Intermediate I'm looking for. Thank you :-)

Wow......many thanks for that umbraldot...you know your stuff :-) apart from the internet (which I don't have,I just use my phone) can you recommend any books? Which are not too technical but are not too basic either. Intermediate I'm looking for. Thank you :-)

Lee Macdonald has published a couple of practical solar observing books which are very readable and Lee knows his stuff too!

Archived