Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Partial Solar Eclipse today - Australia

Dragon Man

Todays Partial Solar Eclipse here in Australia was washed out by Cloud and rain for most Australians but I managed to get a few quick snaps through a small gap in the cloud with my Canon 350d DSLR on a tripod using my ED80 Solar Filter hanging off the camera lens  :grin:

While getting these photos I was standing out in the rain  :tongue:   :grin:

Here are the snaps, and one of the small gap I shot through:

post-32182-0-93710400-1398759454_thumb.j

post-32182-0-28140700-1398759488_thumb.j

post-32182-0-50551700-1398759523_thumb.j

Nice images. I gather it is an annular eclipse in some areas down-under.

Yes, it is an annular.

It is also known as a 'Ring of Fire' Eclipse due to the Moon being smaller in angular Diameter (annular) than the Sun as opposed to a Full Eclipse when the Moon is slightly closer to us.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/ring-of-fire-solar-eclipse-is-coming-and-australia-gets-front-row-seats/story-fnjwlcze-1226899124586

Unfortunately is was only a partial Eclipse except for anyone watching from Antarctica  :smiley:

It was only 2 weeks ago we had a fantastic Lunar Eclipse.

Yes, it is an annular.

It is also known as a 'Ring of Fire' Eclipse due to the Moon being smaller in angular Diameter (annular) than the Sun as opposed to a Full Eclipse when the Moon is slightly closer to us.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/ring-of-fire-solar-eclipse-is-coming-and-australia-gets-front-row-seats/story-fnjwlcze-1226899124586

Unfortunately is was only a partial Eclipse except for anyone watching from Antarctica  :smiley:

It was only 2 weeks ago we had a fantastic Lunar Eclipse.

Lunar eclipse wasn't visible here either :(

Thanks Everyone  :smiley:

Yes Alexandra, most of Australia was covered in cloud for the Eclipse. It rarely happens that so much of the country is clouded at the same time, so I think it was the Astronomy gods playing games with us  :grin:

So far all the images I have seen of the eclipse were also taken through tiny gaps in the clouds.

No wonder they are called 'Sucker Holes'  :tongue:

Archived