NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any reason I wouldn't buy a 460EXM ?

SteveT

Dabbled with modded (self) 350D for a while and now want to do something more advanced.

Thinking of jumping into a 460EXM (rather than stepping into a cheaper CCD and then upgrading later)

Like to use it with Equinox ED80 Pro (with FF), also like to use it on C9.25 (with and without 0,63 FR)

Have and would use a 9x50 Finder Guider with SX Lodestar for the ED80 Pro; Am going to buy the new Celestron OAG for use with the 9.25 and SX Lodestar.

Have no FW or Filters yet, would pick up what I need gradually after understanding the basics a bit more.

All on CGEM mount.

Average LP area, street lights go out at midnight GMT !!

Before I press the 'buy' button, can I just seek assurance that this CCD would be suitable for both scenarios above, I realise there is a compromise between FOV/resolution due to pixel size, pixel count etc and I am not expecting either scenario to be perfect, BUT, I just want to make sure I am not making a complete misjudgement by selecting this CCD for the 2 options above. Would consider a different CCD if I have got this wrong but no more expensive options please.

Still a bit concerned about Mono but understand the sensitivity benefits, speed of imaging (esp at F10/F6,3 with 9.25) would assist (esp when using Ha at a later stage). Otherwise OSC still tempts me for 'apparent' simplicity.

I know this is discussed forever on here but I am relatively novice still and don't want to waste my hard earned money. I recently started using the Celestron Starsense thingy and I found it superb, it worked out of the box and was spot on, cut my setup time down and accuracy 99.9% (still using tripod and was a bit shaky with alignment before).

All advice welcome, so long as it is not conflicting !! :grin:

I have a 460EXM that I use on an 85mm scope at 329mm and I also use it on my C9.25 2x2 bin. It's a great camera that has served me well. I think that in reality your thinking is sound, based on nothing more than my own experience!

I have also used a OSC CCD and for me it represented a nightmare to process. I find mono much easier and of course more versatile as you can add NB filters that work really well. So for me there's no downside. The Sony chip is clean as a whistle, I've never used darks. The fov is OK in my shorter focal length scope, but it has lead me to doing mosaics. It also works with 1.25" filters, which makes things a little bit cheaper.

Would I recommend it? I definitely would. I'd perhaps consider a few other manufacturers in your search for a camera, it's not only Atik that use this Sony chip!

Thanks for your comments Sara, I am aware of the new SX equivalent with the same chip for a few £££ more, post sale support aside (not getting into a debate here) I couldn't see any relevant difference in the other model to make it other than a straight alternative, unless I missed some compatibility issue somewhere ? or an advantage ?

Yes there is the new SX range that has a built in USB type hub if I'm not wrong - Something to think about and whether it would be worth it to you. I know that QSI also use the Sony chip - They certainly have far better cooling than the Atik. I suppose that it's all horses for courses and what may suit one won't suit another. For me out here in Spain for example, cooling is an absolute priority, which may sway my decision, but in the UK not so.

As well it's worth considering whether a total bundle would be a good idea, with an integrated filter wheel and OAG for example. It's also worth considering the compatibility of it all - While you can of course use an Atik camera with an SX filter wheel and a Celestron OAG, I can't help thinking that an all in one solution must be easier or at the very least everything from the same manufacturer.

Sorry, just my ramblings on a sunny Sunday afternoon :grin:

I am in the exact same boat atm. Which CCD am I going to buy. Choices, choices, choices.

I am currently torn between the Atik 460exm, Moravian G2-8300 and G2-4000.

The 460 has a very good and broad QE range.

But the 8300 has sligtly larger pixels and the 4000 even larger. Making them more versatile for longer focal lengths.

Both also have a larger FOV than the 460.

Gonna be a tough choice. Tho I really like the high QE range of the Atik 460.

So I know how you feel atm. :)

I think your research has reached a pretty sound conclusion and although Atik aren't the only kid on the block, their current offerings are excellent.

Spacing with focal reducer/flatteners on refractors like your ED80 is always a challenge especially when you use a filter wheel and an OAG. You really want a solution that fits both 'scopes (and any others that come along in the future) so a slim OAG is very important if you are going to use individual components rather than an all in one unit. If you are going to go down the three unit route, you might wish to consider my own solution which is to use the camera of your choice with the superb Atik EFW2 filter wheel but adapt the rear plate to attach a Starlight Xpress slim OAG. The photographs below show my 'hybrid' filter wheel/OAG attached to an SX CCD camera and a William Optics FR IV but the combined unit would fit any 'T' thread equipped camera and focal reducer or field flattener.

post-1029-0-86994500-1398623853_thumb.jp

post-1029-0-58596900-1398624247_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I have now ordered a 460EXM, EFW2 and some filters (Baader anti reflective LRGB & Ha) along with a Celestron OAG and the usual assortment of round metal bits that magically join everything together which always seem to be required. I hope I will be able to use it all now having spend £3k of my children's inheritance !!

Expect some newbie stupid questions in the next few weeks :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your purchase, must admit I went for Starlight Xpress after viewing the replies by Terry Platt on the Yahoo Group. I did have one occasion to return my camera to him and because I had a deadline the guy worked on it over a Bank Holiday weekend and returned special delivery, impressive. Don't know how good Atik are but the reports on the cameras seem good. I guess its the same as the Canon/Nikon debate, once you choose you stay with them, I know that I only tend to look at Starlight Xpress for my upgrade.

Regards

Mike

Archived