Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

would be a lovely additin to the handsets

proflight2000

You can input the coordinates manually - but you need access to a good ephemerides

All observable comets (the majority of these are very faint and/or Southern Hemisphere!)

http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/Ephemerides/Comets

Elements and Ephemeris for C/2012 K1 (PANSTARRS)

http://scully.cfa.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/returnprepeph.cgi?d=c&o=CK12K010

..... probably need a 10 Micron mount to track it.

Dave

Not necessarily- if you have an auto guider you could use the bright nucleus of the comet as the 'guide star' and track it that way. Never tried it myself but I have heard of people doing this.

It would require the facility to upload orbital elements to the hand set.

That could be done via  the firmware upgrade route but I wouldn't want to be doing that too regularly.

I think it would be nice to have an SD card slot in the handset which users could remove to an external device to load with custom data. That data could then be accessible from a menu option on the handset.

Sounds like a plan....

I can enter orbital ephemerides into the Meade handset manually easily enough which is supposed to track things. but not had much success .

Did enter the elements for the Sun for transit of Venus but didn't get to try it.

Don't know about guiding on a comet, maybe a bit big and fuzzy for a guide star but will try it.

Dave

In respect to Panstarrs, wouldnt it be a great idea to be able to upgrade the handsets with live items  panstarrs which could then at the press of a button be followed, Maybe they do but i cannot find it.

i use sky safari pro with sky fi and it is updated frequently with comets and other new stuff in the sky. i just click on the one i want and off the telescope goes.............................where i do not know :-0

seriously it works very well.

Archived