Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium not matching my Goto, its always off by the same amount

oldpink

when I use the goto and point to say Jupiter its normally pretty accurate and easily in the FOV of the finder scope

but if I use stellarium its out by the same amount even when both the goto and stellarium have the exact same Lat & Long and both at the same time
its like stellarium is about 1hr ahead of the target, its easy to move the telescope onto the target then sync it then its Ok

but the initial slew is always off, I'm thinking its a time issue which I will check later when Jupiter is due south I'll see where stellarium thinks it is
and where it actually is and work out the time difference

but is there something I'm missing in the settings particularly the clock settings, GMT, DST, universal time etc

Hi Oldpink,

sounds like one or the other programme is not setup for daylight saving.

Have you set daylight saving to YES in Goto?

check stellarium is using system time... Config window > plug in's > time zone.

Tick load at start up... and click on config box... select use system time.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

I may be way off the mark here, but I always thought UTC was the same as GMT and didn't change for summer. I can't say for sure if I'm right or even if it makes a difference to your settings...just something to think about.

yeah but both the laptop and the goto are set to BST which is +1 hr

the goto seems to accept that and finds stuff fine, need to see if CDC does the same or agree's with the goto

Ah, I see...the laptop is set to utc and compensates for bst automatically. Sorry for the confusion

I think Stellarium just takes the time from the PC and it is unaware if it is BST or UTC - I asked this a week ago.

Therefore I would expect it to assume that it is UTC.

In effect the goto is getting 22:00 BST is told of DST =On and subtracting 1 hour and works at 21:00 UTC.

Stellarium I think will just take 22:00 from the PC and assume 22:00 UTC, so 1 hour difference.

You can edit the system time and set it back 1 hour to UTC, however some get a time check from MS and may revert back.

On mine XP I can tell it to ignore DST, but then the system clock is displaying a time that is 1 hour from what just about everything else is running at.

Cannot really read the interface windows on Stellarium but I would have expected a similar thing to the handset i.e. Is DST applied?

Hi

It might be an idea to double check the location/lat/long settings in Stellarium. Ditto with Eqmod if you are using it.

Fwiw I use the system time which is synced to an internet time server. That always seems to be accurate. The main thing is to be pointing at the object you (and Stellarium) think you are!

Louise

Make sure that stellarium and what ever is issuing the goto (handset?) are set to use the same EPOCH. For instance the handcontroller uses a set of J2000 coords for its goto database. If Stellarium is set up for JNOW then you will see a slight offset.

Chris.

Make sure that stellarium and what ever is issuing the goto (handset?) are set to use the same EPOCH. For instance the handcontroller uses a set of J2000 coords for its goto database. If Stellarium is set up for JNOW then you will see a slight offset.

Chris.

thanks I'll check that

Chris.

This has got me realy confused now, what settings do i need to get the correct hour angle for polaris?

Alan

Archived