SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hyperion zoom faulty

lookhigh

I got my Hyperion click zoom and the click stopped clicking and the focus was all over the place, The piece was send back and replaced.

When i was out a couple of weeks ago the replaced EP seized and when i inspected it there was a fleck inside. I send it back to my supplier and he send it back to hinds. Turns out this EP is out of warranty. I haven't even used this five times. They are now getting a quote from baader for repair. I don't want to pay to repair this piece as i have absolutely no confidence in it. Is this worth repairing or should i just toss it?

Toss it. I personally would cut my losses and avoid this eyepiece based on your experience. It's obviously from a faulty batch or what not, and would put my pennies toward a better zoom. Perhaps a Pentax.

I got my Hyperion click zoom and the click stopped clicking and the focus was all over the place, The piece was send back and replaced.

When i was out a couple of weeks ago the replaced EP seized and when i inspected it there was a fleck inside. I send it back to my supplier and he send it back to hinds. Turns out this EP is out of warranty. I haven't even used this five times. They are now getting a quote from baader for repair. I don't want to pay to repair this piece as i have absolutely no confidence in it. Is this worth repairing or should i just toss it?

I would get back to your supplier and tell him that the replacement has a fault as well and you see it as his responsibility to supply what you originally purchased, a perfectly functioning eyepiece. He agreed to replace your first one and he had an obligation to supply a non-faulty replacement, which he has not fulfilled.

I'd certainly not just let it go. The Hyperion Zoom is a pretty good eyepiece when it works. The fact the Hinds reckons that the replacement is out of warranty is neither here nor there in my opinion and you certainly should not pay to have the replacement repaired / cleaned. Your supplier owes you a perfectly functioning, clean eyepiece, or a full refund.

I would get back to your supplier and tell him that the replacement has a fault as well and you see it as his responsibility to supply what you originally purchased, a perfectly functioning eyepiece. He agreed to replace your first one and he had an obligation to supply a non-faulty replacement, which he has not fulfilled.

I'd certainly not just let it go. The Hyperion Zoom is a pretty good eyepiece when it works. The fact the Hinds reckons that the replacement is out of warranty is neither here nor there in my opinion and you certainly should not pay to have the replacement repaired / cleaned. Your supplier owes you a perfectly functioning, clean eyepiece, or a full refund.

The first one was replaced only when t was a couple of weeks old, the second one is nearly 3 years now (could have sworn i had it less than 2 years but no receipt)

If baader stood over their product they should at least repair for free as this is a manufacturing fault.

The first one was replaced only when t was a couple of weeks old, the second one is nearly 3 years now (could have sworn i had it less than 2 years but no receipt)

If baader stood over their product they should at least repair for free as this is a manufacturing fault.

If you have had the replacement nearly 3 years I guess it would be out of warranty now. I didn't realise from your earlier post that so much time had elapsed since the replacement was sent to you and that you have used it so infrequently during that time.

Unless you have some way to prove that the fault was there from when the replacement was provided I'm not sure you will get far with this. 

Sadly it is not the first time that I have read problems with this zoom eyepiece. I recall at least 3 members having the same issues, I don't see there is much you can do after a 3 year period. Sorry.

You could try sending it back to Baader though. I had a problem with Baader gear, a vario finder scope. Teleskop Services seemed to think there was nothing wrong with it but we all disagreed and insisted it be returned to Baader. They made a special selection for me and though it is better it is not as good as their adverts say it should be, not that impressed with any of them if truth be known.

Alan.

The Mk2'a of the zoom were very good and had no problems (mine still works fine after 4yrs). But Alans right - two to three years ago when the early batches of Mk3's was introduced, a lot of folks reported them seizing up, especially on very cold nights. Sounds like you may have one of those.

They're not "the best" eyepiece - but are considerably better than supplied eyepieces, very flexible to use having several different functions, very good value for money (when they work), and ideal for newcomers with their first scope wanting an instant range of focal lengths whilst building a decent collection of fixed length pieces (imho).

But they do have to work - I would approach Baader with your case and see if they'll offer a sympathetic solution - they're a small company who do try to keep customers satisfied from what I've heard. Hth :)

I recently saw some reconditioned Hyperion zooms sell out quickly at £100. By the time I'd thought about it, they were gone!

So my suggestion given the age of the eyepiece - even though it doesn't seem super fair given how little you've used it - is to see how much the reconditioning costs. If it's going to be a lot less than £100, get it repaired and give it a decent test, and then sell it and explain very openly in the ad what has happened and that it is fresh back from reconditioning and you have checked it works, but you've lost confidence in the brand. I would think someone would take a punt, I probably would if I was keen enough for the zoom. The thing that held me back was thinking about the alternatives.

You can then switch to another brand and avoid this one if you have lost faith. I'm losing faith in a brand I have used a lot, and the way they are handling things currently on an item that cost over £2k, I will never buy from them again. They will lose out in the long run, it's a small world and recommendations and the gear you use and talk about helps sales.

• 2 weeks later...

So i got a reply today.....

Baader unfortunately have advised David Hinds that they do not perform repairs on Zoom eyepieces, particularly ones of this age. They, go on to say, probably correctly,that with the cost of shipping, parts and labour it will be far more expensive than the original cost of the eyepiece and as such they did not send a euro price through.

So much for baader's custumer service. I will certainly not be buying any more of their products and advising my friends and colleagues to do the same.

Archived