SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Would like to get into photography

Okay, I've bought a cheapo webcam, gouged out its lens and made an impromptu telescope adaptor out of a piece of card.  I've captured a daytime video of a nearby radio tower on the hill through the telescope to test it out.  The image was good and wibbly wobbly, perfect for testing out Registax... except Registax refuses to load my .avi file.  It doesn't throw up any errors, and it's showing the correct number of frames, but it's not showing any image.  Any ideas what might be going wrong?

...or use Autostakkert instead.  Its not fussy about file types and is easier to use.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would make sense - I used a stanley knife to cut away everything on top of the light-collecting surface, so it's now completely exposed to every photon that hits it, visible or not.  Because the webcam I bought had a tiny lens attached directly to the circuit board, and any IR filters would have been built into that tiny assembly.  It's not one of those old style webcams where the lens is easy to remove.

I'm actually okay with my camera seeing IR light though.  If it's problematic, I can buy a filter later.  But for now, I'm actually intrigued by the notion of capturing images of the planets, including part of the IR spectrum.  It's a clear night tonight where I am, so I'm interested to see what Jupiter and Mars look like when infrared is visible.

Problem is that you will never get a crisp , clear image without the IR cut , you will find that focus is nigh on impossible as the scope cannot bring all the extremes of the spectrum to focus at a single point.

Hence why we all use IR blocking filters ...  :rolleyes:

You should be able to jury-rig a holder from a 35mm film-canister and stick an IR filter in the front of it.

Try 'Boots' for film-cans , the photo dept will have hundreds for recycling , take a selection of round ones as they do vary somewhat.

Or alternatively a 'proper' nosepiece to adapt from Astroboot.

The IR filter is about £20-25 ... 

My first try at Jupiter.

bQNh3rN.png

Yeah, it's nowhere near as good as what other have been able to achieve.  In my defence, I don't have a motor on my mount.  Anyway, it's far clearer than what I can see at any given moment through looking into the eyepiece, so I'm pretty happy with it.

• 5 weeks later...

Thread necromancy!

So, I stuck an infra-red cut-off filter to my webcam, as you guys suggested.  It was second hand, so only cost me a tenner.  Here's my first go at Saturn.

EB9d54J.png

Much better colour balance than my Jupiter shot, this looks like how I'd expect the colour of Saturn to look.  It doesn't look that impressive, but I'm super happy to have captured this one.  Saturn is so hard to find with the webcam!  Can find it very easily with eyepieces, but I plug the webcam in, and it's usually just black space.  But this time, I was able to find it by manually pushing the scope around.

Thanks for the knowledges, guys.  I now officially have aperture fever, because I want to CAPTURE ALL THE PHOTONS! 

:) And so the slippery slope begins.

Get the book and then you'll really understand what DSO imaging is all about.

Otherwise stick to planetary or lunar/solar work for a while with a quality camera. This can be very rewarding on it's own.

Cheers

Ian

Archived