Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrophotography (Future)

Hi SGL, 

In the future I hope to take a dive into astrophotography with a basic set-up. Right now I have a Skywatcher skyline 200P Dobsonian which is obviously not suitable for astrophotography well at least long exposure shots and that's no worries. I do plan on getting a EQ5 motorised mount (if  you have other suggestions please let me know) and also a simple DSLR camera. As I'm not taking this too serous i don't plan on spending to much money as it is just a nice wee hobby for me :) 

Would this be a suitable set up for some planetary and DSO? 

I think you would find imaging DSOs to be quite challenging if you intend putting the Dob OTA on the EQ5. The size of the tube would make stability an issue and the relatively long focal length would place great demands on the accuracy of the mount. The 1200mm focal length would be more of an advantage for planetary imaging. Generally speaking, the requirements of photographing planets and DSOs are quite different in terms of which scopes and cameras are most suitable.

An excellent investment would be to get a copy of Making Every Photon Count, if you don't already have it. While it does not cover planetary imaging, the £20 you spend may well save you money in the long run. Even if you don't intend on taking imaging that seriously, it is still very much worth reading:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

I'm going to say it straight out....AP will suck you in and you will want to spend more and more. It did for me haha.

So on to your questions. If you can get your Dob to track (e.g. goto) then you can do lunar and plantary imaging pretty well with a webcam or similar camera.

If you are wanting to do DSO imaging than you are correct in getting a EQ mount. I would suggest the HEQ5 over the EQ5. This will serve you much better and will allow for a upgrade or two in telescope sizes in the future. It will also allow for guiding if you venture down that path. Which you will more than likely want as without it you are limiting yourself to about a max of 2min exposures(depending on the telescope). Thats what I was limited to with my ED80 and DSLR unguided.

Though you didnt mention what kind of telescope you are wanting to use with your DSLR. As above I would suggest an ED80 refractor. This is a very user firendly and simple scope that will maximize your unguided imaging length with its short FL and wide FoV. Your other option is a 130/150PDS Newt. These are also good beginer scopes but have a bit longer FL and narrow FoV so you exposure length are shortend. (Unguided of course)

Now your other option is to use just a DSLR and lens to do wide field AP. If you choose this you can really cut back on your mount and either spend the extra on a very nice lense or get the ultra portable AstroTrac mount. If you go this route you can use the new Celestron Advanced VX mount. This will also allow the use of a small refractor for imaging or just the camera and lens. Also allow the use of a larger scope for visual use only, though not sure if you want that if you have a dob. I believe you can also guide with this new mount. There have been some great picture taken with this mount posted on CN forum. The other option is getting a used CG-5 mount (the older version of the AVX mount). Can't remember if this has guiding or not but it will work great for just you DSLR. Both are very portable and easily put in the back seat with your dob for a dark sky trip. The last option is the AstrocTrac. This is designed specificly for imaging with a DSLR and lens. This is a super compact and lite setup that can be put on in a back pack and carried in to the remote areas where most mounts cant get to.

Thanks for the advice guys. @Zuben Elgenubi il check out this book nearer the time when I have the cash to make the investment to pay for all the necessary equipment. 

@nmoushon I was just planning on attaching a DSLR to my current scope the Skyliner 200P once mounted. 

The feedback has been great and  thanks again for all the information :) I definitely know this hobby is a cash burner and with myself being self-employed work and money aren't always straight forward lol but i've had a keen interest ever since I was a child. So il make it work :) 

Thanks for the advice guys. @Zuben Elgenubi il check out this book nearer the time when I have the cash to make the investment to pay for all the necessary equipment. 

@nmoushon I was just planning on attaching a DSLR to my current scope the Skyliner 200P once mounted. 

The feedback has been great and  thanks again for all the information :) I definitely know this hobby is a cash burner and with myself being self-employed work and money aren't always straight forward lol but i've had a keen interest ever since I was a child. So il make it work :) 

Even if you attach it to a mounts its not going to work out the best. For imaging you really need the PDS model not the P model. If you are planning on putting that large of a scope on any mount you will want the EQ6 AND guiding. Because of the size and FL you will get maybe 30sec image unduiged. For the amount of mount you will need to upgrade you mount you could go with one of the options I suggested above. You will have two setups. One for imaging and one for visual. That would be super nice. I only have one mount and I hate wasting a good night just imaging when I could also be viewing and vise versa. Definately read the book. It will really help explain everything thats required when it comes to imaging. Its a long more than slapping a camera on a scope or put it all on a EQ mount.

I would sugest you consider astrophotography as something to run along side the visual.

To get the 200P on the EQ5 will take more then just getting the EQ5, there will be at least tube rings. Big tube rings are not cheap.

When I have visited the people at NLO, Sidmouth Exeter, many use a simple arrangement of an EQ5, and a 72mm refractor.

Basically how about the same+ EQ5 with dual motors, a 70mm or so ED refractor, and attach a DSLR to that. You will need scope tube rings and a dovetail. Althoiugh sone small refractors come with tube rings.

Something like that is probably the cheapest and simplest start in AP and if wanted you, or someone, could view through the refractor when not doing AP. Check the used sites for used refractors that would suit.

It may seem a case of doubling up but cost wise I expect little realistic difference, and the results would I suspect be better then a 200P on an EQ5. The 200P is a nice sized visual scope but it is not an imaging scope.

What about a SynScan Upgrade kit for the dob so the scope can track? could that also be a possible option seeing it tracks objects? and thanks for the post. Il take your advice and get the book @nmoushon

Then you run in to issues such as field rotation as the mount is still an alt az mount rather than equatorial.

A basic imaging rig requires a sturdy mount, fast (ie f5 or less) scope, and some method of guiding so that you can expose for 120s plus.  You commented that you don't have the cash to throw at venturing into imaging, and IMO trying to do what you stated in your original post will be a waste of cash.  If I were you I would look at picking up an HEQ5 and ED80 or similar secondhand, then fit a guide scope and camera and continue to use your dob for visual observing

@Ronin its been suggested to me I should go for the HEQ5 mount or the NEQ6, I'd really prefer to go with the HEQ5 seeing its cheaper but as this is something i plan to do in the future always time to save if need be :) but you do suggest to get a 72mm refractor - could you point me to any names and mounting to an EQ5. 

@malc-c I totally forgot about that just realised once you pointed it out. 

mrjonathanbrown..........Hi,  Welcome to SGL, There's a few snaps in my gallery , some taken with DSLR and some with a mobile phone. Their fine for my use at present, but the image scale is small (still working on that issue) The SW ED80 is a highly rated telescope for astro work, and would wobble less in the wind than a 200P on an EQ. Those EQ's have got to be rock steady, and to be able to track at the same time. The advice about  the book, Making Every Photon Count, is good advice. The 200P and the ED80 are both in there. Even if newer scopes arrived next Week, the information will set you on the right path. You can save while you study the book.

Hi and after reading this thread I think you are getting a lot of good advice. I only thing I can contribute is that I bought the kit in my signature specifically for AP after doing a lot of research I found it to be the best setup for me.  The only thing I would change is to go for the larger 200 telescope, which this mount can take. The EQ5 and Synscan are very good and the mount is very stable yet portable.

Good luck and welcome to the AP BMC (broke members club).   :rolleyes:

@Charic thanks mate appreciate the welcome. Yeah everyone has been really helpful. Il will get this book and have a read :) 

@Sandancer10 I took a look at your photographs very nice stuff :) I purchased the 200P dob for the main reason everyone does price/aperture I even managed to get a discount on it using some online savvy tools. Il need to purchase this book everyone is telling me to get my hands on :) I deffo want to buy the right mount for my scope and make sure it stable etc. It has been suggested buying another scope on top of the mount but I'm not to sure i really am strapped for cash (self-employed I am) I've been told the EQ5 mount won't handle the size of the 8" scope I have (200P) Dob so I should look into the HEQ5 which is very pricey. might get really lucky over the summer and land a lot of work fingers crossed haha and thanks again BMC getting that printed on my T's. 

I've started with the same set-up, a 200p Dobsonian. Started reading Making Every Photon Count (worth a read even if you don't leap into AP immediately) this morning and it has me targeting an additional mount and ED80 IF my interest is piqued by playing around with what I have. And what I do have is the Dob, a DSLR, plans for basic planetary imaging using an Xbox live cam and almost all the bits I need for a barndoor tracker. Oh I have a tripod too which I am going to play around with the DSLR on for some wide-field experiments while I learn about the camera and the various software titles for processing images. Other than some shots of the moon through the dob and maybe some wide constellation shots I doubt I will get much of any quality, but it will give me time to practice and save up....and, more importantly, time to figure out longer term plans....

I am excited by the possibilities of the barn door tracker, but am sure that will present plenty of its own problems and learning. Worth a Google for the plans...looks easy to build at least....I would link but am on my phone and struggling to type, let alone link to other web pages!

I think the main thing for me is to take my time and not jump in like I usually do and get frustrated and give up!

Am enjoying the visual side enough to allow myself the time to work up to spending more!

There is plenty to play around with before splurging the cash! To me anyway....YMMV! It's a lot fun figuring it out though!

baring in mind that an f5 200p is a challenge on an eq5 where 60-90 sec exposures would be concidered long and you'd need to be prepared to throw away many of your hard earned subs, an f6 at 200mm longer would be a nightmare. if you really want to use an eq5, then I'd suggest a short fl refractor (the shorter the better) or (and i think this is a much better option) http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-pro-heq5-pro.html

Might be able to get the HEQ5  mount sooner than I thought :) http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-syntrek.html plus Tube Rings and Dove tail mounting plate. I also need to purchase every proton counts - I will purchase this first before going for the mount. I have a MacBook will this be okay? 

Although I am selling on most of my setup at the moment because of problems with my locale and a lack of viable transport options, my HEQ5 with a fast little refractor and a mini guider was surprisingly easy to get up and running and guiding successfully with only  free software. I used the handset as my connection in PC direct mode. As for refractors, the Skywatcher ED80s get loads of positive comments and reviews.

cheers

Archived