NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clear (ish) Skies

Becky

We were blessed with some clear skies over North West Birmingham last night. There was a lot of wispy cloud passing over and reflecting the streetlights back, but I managed to get the telescope out for a time. I did get a look at a few things.

The Orion Nebula- Finally I got a wee peak after previously looking in the wrong place. I reckon in the countryside where there is less light pollution it would look great. All I actually saw a few stars with a greenish glow around it. I read somewhere that its actually red but looks green in small scopes

If you are going to get into astronomy based on the pictures in astro mags, you are heading for a disapointment. They have lovely shots, but not what you will see from a wee scope in your garden. Dont get me wrong, I'm not dissillusioned, I want a bigger scope! LOL

Mars- Its amazing how our neighbour seems smaller every time as we get further ahead in our orbit of the sun than him. Still worth a look though, even in the wee 70mm refractor.

Pleiades- The pleiades is just fantastic. Quite possibly my favourite things in the sky. I saw an article that says there is a slight nebulosity there in a larger scope.

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

:stars:

Dont get me wrong, I'm not dissillusioned, I want a bigger scope! LOL

:stars:

Hi Becky - be very careful. If you find you can't get a bigger scope you'll find ways to justify having more than one scope... :D

James

I'm about 20 miles south of you Becky, and like you I was pleased to see a bit of sky last night. Unfortunately I was delayed at work until 19:00 so missed a good couple of hours by the time the scope had cooled down.

I was desperate to collimate the thing, (at least, try my hand), and did seem to make it slightly better, but the seeing was dreadful, lots of moisture and heaven knows what in the air. Also I have a new webcam I was eager to test on a couple of planets, as I hope to catch Jupiter one of these clear mornings, (have a job getting up early enough though!). As it was, I got 2 x 60 secs shots of Mars, which were frankly a wash out, no detail to be seen, but watching the clouds quickly slewed round to Saturn and grabbed 90 secs of footage before the wispiness became thicker.

Is it difficult for you to get fully dark adjusted in Birmingham? Cant be dark skies in any direction???? That would help with your seeing the nebs and stuff.

Cheers

TJ

I'm about 20 miles south of you Becky, and like you I was pleased to see a bit of sky last night. Unfortunately I was delayed at work until 19:00 so missed a good couple of hours by the time the scope had cooled down.

I was desperate to collimate the thing, (at least, try my hand), and did seem to make it slightly better, but the seeing was dreadful, lots of moisture and heaven knows what in the air. Also I have a new webcam I was eager to test on a couple of planets, as I hope to catch Jupiter one of these clear mornings, (have a job getting up early enough though!). As it was, I got 2 x 60 secs shots of Mars, which were frankly a wash out, no detail to be seen, but watching the clouds quickly slewed round to Saturn and grabbed 90 secs of footage before the wispiness became thicker.

Is it difficult for you to get fully dark adjusted in Birmingham? Cant be dark skies in any direction???? That would help with your seeing the nebs and stuff.

Cheers

TJ

Hi TJ

What does Collimate mean?

I haven't tried to spot Saturn yet, I really should. As for dark adjusting in Birmingham- No chance. even on a good clear night I could probably read a medium sized text in the back garden :D I've been going out on the extension (flat) roof to be above my neighbours security light, but I still see too many bright lights. I'm looking forward to getting out into the countryside soon.

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

Becky

Collimate means to align the main mirror and secondary mirror - not something you need to worry about with your refractor.

Sounds tricky. Thanks Daz. Nothing I need to know about...... yet :D

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

Archived