NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M3 - simply beautiful

Hello everybody :)

I would like to share with you my last result.

45 subs x 30sec.

15 dark

15 bias

8" dob synscan goto

Canon 1100D unmodded.

The moon was also up at the zenith.

I think my scope got a nice moon tan :D

As usual thanks for watching :)

post-32167-0-06671100-1396966262_thumb.j

Hi Jarlaxle - Not sure I can get M3 from here - your pic is a good start - I think you can afford to under expose clusters and process a single image - this allows you to get more colour into the stars - it is really easy to blow out the core of a small cluster. my shot above is a single shot with a alt az SCT on a wedge - taken on a thin steel post which vibrated like a tuning fork if you coughed. Hence a really short exposure and a wicked result.

Give it a try - don't try to get a birght image - do that in processing

Hi Jarlaxle - Not sure I can get M3 from here - your pic is a good start - I think you can afford to under expose clusters and process a single image - this allows you to get more colour into the stars - it is really easy to blow out the core of a small cluster. my shot above is a single shot with a alt az SCT on a wedge - taken on a thin steel post which vibrated like a tuning fork if you coughed. Hence a really short exposure and a wicked result.

Give it a try - don't try to get a birght image - do that in processing

Hi Carina and thank you so much for the comment.

Is a 30sec exposure too long?

What camera did you use for that single shot? How long was your exposure?

By the way that shot is amazing :)

Typically I use between 30 seconds and two minutes for  stars - more than this and they blow out with airy discs and fork wobble (pre EQ6 days) - I think this was 30 seconds.  Through an F10 scope at ISO800

The camera is 450D canon using APT camera control through the PC.

If you're using a scope with a lower focal ratio, then decrease the time - a lot.

F10 is a pretty slow  scope -

with the exposure being so short, it is possible to experiment - especially if you have a laptop sampling the  result for each shot as I do. (APT shows the result while the next shot is being taken - so if you stop the camera after each shot you can check it out and do your adjustment - I'm sure backyard EOS does the same (if you have a canon ) APT works with most cameras and downloads for free for a working version)

Typically I use between 30 seconds and two minutes for  stars - more than this and they blow out with airy discs and fork wobble (pre EQ6 days) - I think this was 30 seconds.  Through an F10 scope at ISO800

The camera is 450D canon using APT camera control through the PC.

If you're using a scope with a lower focal ratio, then decrease the time - a lot.

F10 is a pretty slow  scope -

with the exposure being so short, it is possible to experiment - especially if you have a laptop sampling the  result for each shot as I do. (APT shows the result while the next shot is being taken - so if you stop the camera after each shot you can check it out and do your adjustment - I'm sure backyard EOS does the same (if you have a canon ) APT works with most cameras and downloads for free for a working version)

I got you now.

I have an F6 scope and as described in the beginning i did 30secs shots at iso800.

Do you think that i should reduce the iso level as well?

Archived