Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - not brilliant but not bad for a first time effort!

Sam Baker

Managed to stack 43 images - manually, Registax didn't seem to be too happy at aligning the images itself so i gave it a go and adjusted the gamma setting for a bit of detail. Any feedback, tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!post-33062-0-77507300-1396798013.png

Canon 600d mounted on focuser. It was my first time. I don't really know what settings to use either so it's currently more faffing than taking images. Have you got any tips on settings and how many images should be used?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thats a promising start, I think you need to concentrate on collimation as the moons of Jupiter should be points.  Keep going as you love the results with longer focal length.

John.

I'll give that a go next time. And hopefully be able to get something a bit better. I've done an image of mates as well which I'm pleased with but there's only slight detail. a7e3esuj.jpg please see. Personally i don't really understand what I need to do to achieve good photos - I seem to have to align manually because registax is not playing ball and it's a struggle but I'm going to try video mode next down and get the frames off it to see if theres any difference

When you use the Canon in planetary mode you have the choice of a 5x or 10x digital zoom which will help with focusing and give you a much larger image. I would also use a Barlow lens. I would be taking at least 2000 frames to stack in Registax but I would also put them through PIPP first to select the best frames. Good for a first go though - better than my first for sure.

Peter

Thats a pretty decent Mars image Sam. As has been said video mode is your best bet to capture several thousand frames. I would not worry about using PIPP at this stage but would suggest trying Autostakkert instead of registax for stacking the frames as it is far superior http://www.autostakkert.com/wp/download/

Youtube has plenty of tutorials :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLeBLyAMdl0

I downloaded pipp this morning and used it on my jupiter pictures and found I got a much better stack without have to align manually either yqugazun.jpg. It wasn't until today when I really started to understand that the more frames the better - im going to give video mode a go. Is it worth changing the settings on my camera periodically or is it just get it in focus and get as many frames as possible and stack them together?

Archived