Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Filter

JemC

Well I got my solar filter from FLO today, thanks

Hopefully this weekend I am going to have a go constructing it into something usable on my scope (SW explorer 200p) and give a go, :eek:

will update when accomplished :smiley:

Well that didn't go well, only managed to put a hole in the middle of the filter with scissors :sad: I could cover the small opening in the tube dust cap? would that work or even give me a decent image, or would it be better to just buy another sheet ?

Does not matter, just put a bit of strong tape over the hole. It will not affect the view. Make sure there are no other holes, if there are, again just put a bit of tape over them and again check theatre no sunlight is getting through. Check by holding your finished filter up to the sun at arms length and look for light getting through.

Ian

Sent from ma fone using Tapatalk

Jem,

Make sure you double check for any stray light / holes before you use it :smiley: use your car headlights in the dark as the light source for the test.

It would be a lot easier to just hold it up to sun at arms length.

Ian

Sent from ma fone using Tapatalk

Jem,

Make sure you double check for any stray light / holes before you use it :smiley: use your car headlights in the dark as the light source for the test.

So how do you propose to do it in daylight ... ?

Check the film against the Sun ...  :smiley:

I got a sheet of film and got a 10 minute window to try out the scope on the sun but didnt have time to make a filter i just cut a small square out and stuck it behind the small opening under the cap just so i could try it out. 

Seemed to work fine but i dont know if full aperture filter will be batteras i havent seen the sun since ..............(at least not when i have been at home and had a chance to get the scope out) 

You can make a filter to fit the small hole in the telescope dust cap - you will still get a decent image.

I do strongly advise against using a damaged solar filter.  You only have one chance with your eyes and the Sun WILL blind you if you don't use a proper, undamaged filter.  It only takes a second and the damage is permanent.  Use a perfect filter in a well made holder that cannot come off (for example in a gust of wind - or easily knocked off) the scope.

I have a personal rule of never observing the Sun using my eyes - I always use a camera and take an image.  I do have a damaged DSLR to prove that the Sun is dangerous! I forgot to put the filter on the scope and swung the scope past the Sun on "fast slew" - that was enough to melt part of the inside of the camera and it wasn't even properly in focus!!.

Years ago I used the projection method (projecting the Sun's image onto a white card using an eyepiece) but this has to be done with considerable care with modern scopes that have plastic parts and cemented eyepiece lenses and can only be done with a refractor.

Thanks all for comments,

I have put a small piece over the opening in the dust cap,

Last night I tried it out on the car headlights as Pig suggested, end result was I could see no light at all, seems to be ok!

Have just had one opening in the clouds this morning so held the dust cap up at arms length and after carefully scrutinising it, no light was visible through it, I then brought it closer and closer, eventually I could see the sun albeit just a small white circle, ( can I class that as my first light? :smiley: ) been nothing but cloud since :sad:

I fully understand the dangers of Solar viewing and accept that I do so at entirely my own risk,

I will however be ordering some more solar filter so I can attempt to make a larger filter but this time being more careful in the construction.

Regards

So how do you propose to do it in daylight ... ?

Check the film against the Sun ...  :smiley:

Keep your knickers on :grin:  :evil:  what sun are you talking about because I haven't seen one for days.

You could always wait until the sun comes out of course, but if the filter isn't ok the sun will have gone back in again by the time your filter is ready :laugh:

Daylight indeed , I dunno some people........ :Envy:  :Envy:

What's wrong with car lights any how, your more likely to spot any holes in the dark you doughnuts :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  and they and wont permanently blind you.

Don't take offence by these comments as it isn't intended.

I will be back later to read the abuse :smiley:

Archived