NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary webcam shots with an ir filter

Elm0

OK, so my first shots using a webcam and no ir filter or barlow produced these results

post-35244-0-75247800-1396210740_thumb.j

post-35244-0-09548900-1396210793_thumb.j

post-35244-0-21876200-1396210940_thumb.j

Mars and jupiter came out ok for a first attempt. saturn was over exposed. 

After adding an ir filter and a barlow to saturn, i produced these results.

post-35244-0-89920600-1396211144_thumb.j

post-35244-0-16967600-1396211233_thumb.j

post-35244-0-62960700-1396211182_thumb.j

Saturn was barlowed with an ir filter. seemed to make a huge difference. jupietr has just an ir filter. marginal difference but caught the red spot...i think. It was in transit at the time i shot the film. mars was also barlowed and ir filter applied. Picture seems ok. north ans south polar regions seems more defined. slightly better colour in my eyes but did managed to get a yellowy/ green tinge. 

Happy with the results but shows an ir filter can defo help in some cases. test is slightly bias as mars and saturn were slightly higher in the sky with mars being at a better opposition.

Great images, and yes i can see the great red spot.

I'd read recently that people think most of the issues with IR and planetary imaging at least, is to do with chromatic aberration. With a newtonian, you shouldn't get any as there is no glass to split the light up into the component parts, so imaging without a barlow shouldn't have caused any (unless the material directly in front of the cameras sensor splits the light up too. Clearly a different matter with refractors and anything with a corrector plate like a Mak or SCT.

I've always been worried that the surface detail detected in IR looks different from that seen in white light with IR blocked, and that combining these would result in a blurred image, but some people appear to use IR pass detail to add to white light detail so that disproves my worries.

But anyway, lovely images; great to see such detail on Mars, you must be really chuffed.

Jd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have got an IR filter on the way. Hopefully will help with my Mars pics. Nice images BTW.

Yes, it does seem to make a difference. Mars is now moving away from this years opposition, so be quick. 

Great images, and yes i can see the great red spot.

I'd read recently that people think most of the issues with IR and planetary imaging at least, is to do with chromatic aberration. With a newtonian, you shouldn't get any as there is no glass to split the light up into the component parts, so imaging without a barlow shouldn't have caused any (unless the material directly in front of the cameras sensor splits the light up too. Clearly a different matter with refractors and anything with a corrector plate like a Mak or SCT.

I've always been worried that the surface detail detected in IR looks different from that seen in white light with IR blocked, and that combining these would result in a blurred image, but some people appear to use IR pass detail to add to white light detail so that disproves my worries.

But anyway, lovely images; great to see such detail on Mars, you must be really chuffed.

Jd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took these with a dob, so same as a newt. I wrote another thread a while back about the situation. Seems to be a few hypothesis about IR and imaging. Mars i think was agreed as one that should have it, but the others not so much. Probably unfounded, but thought I would show the differences...or lack of that i noticed.

Archived