Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientifics 12" dob

Right. Got it out on the lawn early and collimated it properly in a matter of minutes. This collimate-with-pole-from-the-front malarkey is fantastic - Why has this not been thought of before?

Just my luck it's a full moon, but having had two new scopes delivered within four days and still be blessed with four clear nights back-to-back, it would be churlish to complain.

There are complaints about the scope though.

Two of the three screws that hold the secondary to the spider had stripped threads within the mounting holes. This left the secondary dangling by the remaining one. The problem was solved by turning the two spider clamping plates through 180deg and using the holes tapped for the screws that clamp the plates together. In time, I will put short bolts with nuts through the damaged holes to resume the original status quo.

The foam in the mirror box lid is stick by double sided tape and the foam came off last night after I'd packed the scope away. I found it resting on the mirror when I opened it up today - Luckily, no damage done.

Paint finish is a bit spartan to say the least. The poles should have been anodized rather than painted and the first few times you screw things in, it will clear paint from within the threads creating loose flakes.

The eyepiece positioning is just plain stupid, unless your name is Dettori. Honest, at 11pm last night, I was sitting on the floor to view the moon, because my ironing stool doesn't go low enough. By midnight, I was just about kneeling and I'm only 5ft 10". The secondary cage should have been set at 45deg from it's current position, or you would need to consider a 30cm high stand of some sort.

The good.

Collimation. Oh the joy!

Once assembled, it's surprizingly stable and sturdy. It is very well damped, possibly due to the foam in the lid pressing against the poles. It's certainly no worse than I recall my 300p FlexTube being.

The R&P focuser is a bit notchy at full speed, but via the 10:1 reduction, it's smooth, positive and precise and flex free.

Things I'll change.

Alt movement seems nudgable enough, but I think a lazy susan bearing may find it's way in on the Az.

Truss poles will be shrink wrapped.

I may add a bit of weight at the back - This may well be a non-issue for Telrad or standard 8x50 finder users, but my Altair 10x60 RA uses up all of the extra weight the lower AZ bearing mounting holes gives you. As it is, it will just about hold my Maxvison 28mm SWA, but anything more is out and I wanted to add a Telrad and maybe use my MV 34mm occasionally.

The secondary cage WILL get turned through 45deg. This is why I'm not sending the scope back as a result of the sceondary holder issues. It seems churlish if I'm just going to drill holes in it anyway.

I will buy a drum case for the sceondary cage.

I will add rubber feet to the rear of the mirror box as it's easy to scrape up the paint when placing it on the floor.

Regardless of all of this,  I still feel this scope is superb value for money, as long as the mirrors are up to snuff. I'm off to find that out now as I't been outside for a couple of hours. :)

Russell

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds as though yours was made on the same day as mine. The foam fell off mine too.

The stripped threads on the secondary are worrying! Mine seem fine but I'll check them this evening. I would suggest mentioning this to Tassilo as he has already shipped replacement parts to me, and may be able to send a replacement secondary.

I echo all your comments and think this is a brilliant value scope - despite the issues related to finish.

The collimation system is, as you say, a real revelation! I'm going to have a real play with the collimation this evening while doing some imaging, and will have more comment tomorrow.

The foam in the mirror box lid is stick by double sided tape and the foam came off last night after I'd packed the scope away. I found it resting on the mirror when I opened it up today - Luckily, no damage done.

My mirror box came filled with has a hefty dollop of white foam which both holds the mirror firmly in place during transport (yes, I know it also has straps) and has recesses for the various knobs used for assembly; I will also create a recess to take the Telrad and counterweight.

Just off the cuff; Do any of you chaps know, or can you see what the thread size is on the truss pole knobs? I meant to measure them yesterday and forgot.

I'm thinking these would be ripe for replacement with some locking eccentric levers.

Russell

I was thinking along similar lines for either a Telrad or the AA 10x60 finder. What are you going to use to protect the mirror from the polystyrene?

Nothing. As far as I can tell, there is no contact except possibly at the extreme edge.

Do any of you chaps know, or can you see what the thread size is on the truss pole knobs?

I'm thinking these would be ripe for replacement with some locking eccentric levers.

M5 on the 16"; I'd be surprised if yours was different. Do you have a source for levers (I can only find them as small as M6)? (I was toying with the idea of modding quick-release bicycle seat-post spindles)

For those interested, I have worked out which knobs need replacing on the 305 Dob with what and they're NOT all M5, nore even male threads.

Secondary cage truss poles - 4x M5x20mm Male

Mirror Box truss poles - 4x M5 Female

Alt bearing mirror box - 4x M6x50mm Male

Alt bearing m/box lid - 2x M5x40mm Male

Including £6.99 delivery and 10% discount for 11+, plus VAT, that's a grand total of £96.68 delivered.

I suggest aluminium, because it's anodized black, Stainless steel is shiny and plastic handles actually cost even more.

I might just leave this one until next month.;)

Russell

For those interested I have worked out which levers replace what on the 305 Dob and guess what? Not only are they not all male knobs, they're not all M5 either. The list:

Secondary cage truss poles - M5x20mm male

Primary mirror box truss poles - M5 Female

Alt bearing mirror box - M6x50mm Male

Alt bearing m/box lid - M5x40mm male

Grand total inc delivery, less 10% discount for 11+ and plus VAT - £96.68.

This may have to wait until next month! It's also easy to see how, considering the low volumes these things are made in, why ES economized on certain components to keep costs down. You could have a scope with all of the whiz bang bits included, but it wouldn't cost £780.

Russell

Errm...that's a lot of money for bolts and so forth, but I can see why you want to change them.

When I had the Skywatcher 12", I thought the locks on the sliding bars were iffy and painful to tighten up..and was thinking about alternative solutions, but didn't have the chance to upgrade.

Some photos will be nice, Russ. :)

...and they're NOT all M5...

Sorry, I thought you were just asking about the ones holding the truss tubes.

As for QR levers, the only place I can see them making a significant difference (without significant modification) is on the mirror box, where the bolt does not need to be threaded into a hole. I may be being thick, but I can't see how putting them (say) at the secondary end of the trusses will eliminate the need to thread the spindle through the truss ends and the bracket on the secondary cage. Am I being thick?

Not at all, but depending on your level of DIY competence, it wouldn't be hard to slot the poles at the secondary end to make them more of a quick release solution.

You're right about the mirror box though as my father large hands find it all a bit tight on there. I may just spring for those cam levers anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Tom et al, What was length of time experienced between ordering and actually taking delivery?  I placed my order back in May( four months and counting). I realize being in the states it will take longer but patience is wearing a bit thin. Perhaps it's asking too much to have items shipped in a timely manor. 

Mine took about a week, but I did place the order knowing that the first batch had just landed. They seem to sell out pretty quickly, plus some changes based on user experience have been implemented along the way, which has caused delays between shipments. 

Did you buy yours from Europe or in the US?

Russell

Tom et al, What was length of time experienced between ordering and actually taking delivery?  I placed my order back in May( four months and counting). I realize being in the states it will take longer but patience is wearing a bit thin. Perhaps it's asking too much to have items shipped in a timely manor. 

I think their arrival in the USA has been defered until the Fall 2014. I believe Fall officially ends on 21 December in the US so anytime between now and the I guess ? :smiley:

• 10 months later...

Nothing like flogging a dead horse. The 12" model I ordered in May of 2014 finally arrived in July of 2015. If Tom or Russ might know what size connector and how large a battery pack does it require to get the cooling fans running? I'm considering using C or D cell rechargeable batteries. Odd that a battery pack wasn't included. Many thanks for any advice, Bob

• 5 months later...

Archived