Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear days,Cloudy nights

JemC

Hi everyone

With regards to the title of this post and me itching to use my new scope, not much chance of night viewing with the amount of cloud we seem to be getting I was thinking :undecided: maybe give solar viewing a go,

Could someone please tell me what would be the best (not necessary the most expensive) as I call them bits and bobs I would need to accomplish this?

My scope is SW Explorer 200p on eq5 mount which I assume would be ok to do solar viewing with the option of maybe taking a picture or two along the way, would it also be better to use my DSLR or adapt an old Logitech webcam I have lying around currently doing nothing.

Regards

JemC

Jem, you can't go wrong with Baader's solar film and making yourself your own solar filter. Other than that, you can get them pre-made which isn't always a bad thing: solar filter.

Eyepiece wise, I've found 50x magnification a nice sweet spot for white light observing. A green filter or Baader Continuum filter will bring out subtler detail and will make sunspots, faculae, and granulation more distinct with better contrast.

Jem, you can't go wrong with Baader's solar film and making yourself your own solar filter. Other than that, you can get them pre-made which isn't always a bad thing: solar filter.

Eyepiece wise, I've found 50x magnification a nice sweet spot for white light observing. A green filter or Baader Continuum filter will bring out subtler detail and will make sunspots, faculae, and granulation more distinct with better contrast.

I'd go along with this..It's a big step up from here (moneywise) to a dedicated solar scope.

A word of caution though (apart from the obvious ones pertaining to looking at the sun unprotected).... Making this WILL cause cloudy days as well as nights ;)...It's just the way it is I'm afraid.

Great minds think alike!

I've had my new SW 200P dob for 4 days and only been able to view pigeons roosting in trees a mile away!

I was thinking of getting a filter to view the sun too

Is that solar film ok for my dob too?

Hi there solar viewing is great and safe with the correct filters there's a couple a choice ref solar film I use both of these

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/seymour-solar-12-x-12-thin-film-solar-sheet.html

Or

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-astrosolar-a4-nd50-safety-film-sheet.html

Both work well the Seymour film gives a orange view and I found great for visual slightly better than the baader but for imaging not so great

The baader gives a slight white Pink view and is better for imaging they both do the job if it's a budget go for the Seymour or if you can get it the Thousand Oaks stuff

Always check your solar filter before use

Pat

Great minds think alike!

I've had my new SW 200P dob for 4 days and only been able to view pigeons roosting in trees a mile away!

I was thinking of getting a filter to view the sun too

Is that solar film ok for my dob too?

Hi Darth,

I would have no problems using the film on a dob providing it is a solid tube type or if its a truss type I would have to be VERY sure there was no possibility of light hitting the primary (other than through the filter). To be honest, I'd be inclined not to use an open tube dob even with a shroud. Maybe I'm a bit of a coward but I've become fond of my eyesight B).

Solar film is a must I use it on my CPC, it really got me hooked on solar observing :laugh:

Make sure you buy the film for visual use and not the one for photographic, they look the same but are in fact very different.

If you not sure check with the supplier before you use it :shocked:

Archived