Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eyepieces

As Phillip has said, we really need to know what scope you will be using, and whether it will be mainly faint fuzzy dso's, or more lunar and planetary?

The actual magnification a given eyepiece will achieve is directly linked to the focal length of the scope it is being used in. Mag=focal length of scope/focal length of eyepiece. For example, an 8mm ep used in an 800mm focal length scope would give 800/8=100x mag. Whilst in a scope of say 500mm focal length it would yield 500/8=62.5x mag.

A set of 35mm 20mm 15mm 10mm 5mm EP's will do you with a good 2x Barlow lens,

It really depends on the individual though as all or eyes are differant!, It's a case of finding what suits you really, 

Better quality lenses will also improve your viewing experance :grin:

Hi the scope i'm using is an ascension 80 ed triplet f6 & a zeq 25gt mount,  with the 10 & 20 mmm eyepieces that came with the scope + 3x extender + a 2xbarlow with a thread for my camera the images are very sharp,  I like looking at dso's more than lunar but i'ts good for that as well 

bruno...........hi, Optimum eyepiece for your F-480 f/6 telescope A-80mm would be between 24mm & 12mm that will give 20x and 40x magnification. Your highest magnification should be 160x power with a 3mm eyepiece, but this may be too tight in use to be practical. There is no limit to minimum power so suggest anything between 32mm & 48mm

Your 20mm is probably ok. You need low power wide angle EP's to see the DSO's. Why not try  5mm and/or an 8mm BST Starguider from Sky's the limit, ebay, for your high power EP's  (after he comes back on line after stocktaking) Try the lenses side by side and compare them. If their not right, you can send them back for a refund of the purchase price. Chat with him first (details on his site). 

Being a good triplet I would have said that a 5mm would be fine, but I will say the X-Cel range, not the BST's, reason is that they have a 5mm and a 7mm, if the jump of 5mm to 8mm is OK for you then ignore the X-Cels and back to looking at the BST's.

I usually say 4 eyepieces and if the X-Cels then 5mm, 7mm (high power), 15mm, (medium) and the 25mm (low power).

Will point out that that bunch eventually adds up to £260 and for +£40 you could get every one of the six BST's.

I would have thought that the scope would take a 4mm easily and possibly a 3.5mm, so long as they were good quality.

One advantage of the BST's is that a 2x barlowed 8mm would deliver in effect a 4mm eyepiece.

I would suggest Baader Mark III zoom, 8-24mm, optically it will work as good as BST in your scope, with wider field of view in higher magnification range. Should you get a solar scope or a goto mount, It'll be of great convinience too.

Aslo try to buy used ones here

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk

It'll saved you money should you find not suitable for you.

I have a 480 x80 triplet and use up to 3.5mm for planets although 3mm is possible for the moon I have nothing lower than a 24mm as I don't really need it all my eyepieces are wide angle most used are 7 and 12 no particular reason its just the 2 best eyepieces I have.  

Archived