Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help please with Dell laptop power supply

michaelmorris

Back last autumn I bought a second hand Dell Latitude C540/C640 laptop from someone at the Kelling Heath Star Party for just £35.  I don't know whether someone pulled a fast one on me or I just didn't understand what I was buying (probably the latter), but it turned out that the description "won't charge the battery" actually meant, 'won't charge the battery or run on mains!'  The result is that once the battery ran flat I was left with a grey plastic doorstop.

The obvious thing would be to buy a replacement mains unit/charger, but it may not be the power supply that's the problem, so  would I rather not throw good money after bad.  

Has anyone got an old Dell PA6 or PA 9 charger I could try out at SGL 9?  Note the unusual power plug on this type of adaptor. 

Note this is the three pin plug, not the earlier four pin one.  (Sorry the picture is so rubbish)

Thanks

post-586-0-33261900-1395701873_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-69293100-1395701889_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-31581200-1395701904_thumb.jpg

Have you tried removing the battery and running from just the power supply? If the laptop won't boot then it's likely the power supply that's the problem. Try testing the voltage of the power supply with a multimeter to make sure it's correct. The correct voltage and amps should be on the power supply. If the power supply is supplying the wrong voltage then it's likely the battery's been damaged too and won't charge correctly, you may need a new power supply and a new battery.

Have you tried removing the battery and running from just the power supply? If the laptop won't boot then it's likely the power supply that's the problem. Try testing the voltage of the power supply with a multimeter to make sure it's correct. The correct voltage and amps should be on the power supply. If the power supply is supplying the wrong voltage then it's likely the battery's been damaged too and won't charge correctly, you may need a new power supply and a new battery.

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately, removing the battery hasn't helped (Damn!)

Yeah sounds like it's either a faulty power supply or it could be the socket on the laptop. If you've got a PC repair shop near you that sells replacement power supplies (preferably second hand) take your laptop in and see if they'll let you test it (with and without battery). I had the same problem with a Sony Vaio and luckily I just needed a new power supply. The battery wasn't charging properly but I only use it plugged into the mains anyway.

Just had a quick thought! Try changing the kettle (iec) lead that plugs into the power supply if you've got one lying around. It's always possible the fuse could of gone in the mains plug or the wire itself is faulty.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to tell which element has failed until you have replaced them all. The C series laptop had a common fault, the motherboard can fail and this prevents the battery from charging. So a new battery, new psu will not alter your position if the mobo has failed.

I've just had a grub around in my pile of "may come in useful one day" power supplies and found a P6.  And the green light comes on.  I'm not at SGL9, but if anyone is passing Taunton on their way and doesn't mind making a detour to collect it then it's yours.  I can post it, but not in the next few days as I have a non-negotiable deadline next Monday :(

James

BINGO!

Just swapped over the power lead and removed the battery and suddenly it has sprung to life!  YIPPEE.  Okay, the letter A doesn't work on the keyboard, but that's easy to get around.

Once I've done a Windows update and loaded a couple of drivers and some software, the plan is to see if this can be used to run the all sky camera in the observatory. (I have my doubts as it's USB 1.1)

Thanks guys

You can get the Dell part numbers, by looking for something like this CN-0XXXXX-YYYYY-YYY-YYYY on the component, the XXXXX is the part number. Sometimes they just give the 5 digits, just google to double check before buying.

At least you have power now :-)

Archived