Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Sunday 23rd March

stevetynant

Who managed to get out last night?

Managed to set up a last minute meet with a few mates last night and had a great time- possibly the best nights viewing all year. Very windy through the day but it died awat to nothing by 7pm for perfect conditions - bagged a new Messier M64 The Black Eye Galaxy to bolster my meagre Messier count but just thinking that this year has been so appalling will start again next year with a more structured gameplan to get moving again but in all honesty it was just a pleasure last night to get out and look up.

First time I'd seen Mars all year as it got pretty high by about 10.30 but still not high enough to get great viewing unlike Jupiter which was stunning all evening- managed to find the Leo Triplet again which was a treat for me.

Thanks to Mike, Dave and Gaz for their company hopefully we can start again at Blaenavon next weekend. Nights like last night are what astronomy is all about to me - looking forward to the next time now batteries recharged and while I'm on my observing high anyone in the S Wales group who hasn't booked up for the star party next year I'd recommend it - great skies, great facilities and good company - pitches getting booked up already don't leave it too long. :grin:  :grin:

First Picture with the new Atik 314L.

M65. had hoped to get the triple but was just a tad out :embarrassed:

anyway still happy with this as a first try.

Just one Light with no darks or Bias subtracted, 6 minute exposer guided.

post-6926-0-92583900-1395655408_thumb.jp

For me, last nights highlights were watching a moon occult on Jupiter, observing Mars, and seeing a couple of satellites

cross paths. :eek:  The satallites appeared to be a collision course, but fortunately were not.   :smiley:

Archived