Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eskimo cluster?

jason.p

I was searching for the Eskimo nebula amongst frustrating drifting cloud when I came across a nice looking cluster which I'm sure is not far from the nebula. The only thing I can find is NGC 2420? Cloud eventually covered everything so I packed up (needless to say, within an hour it was crystal clear again!)

If this was NGC 2420, how close was I to the Eskimo?

Thanks for replies. I'm not so sure now. NGC 2420 sounds like a relatively difficult one with just a few stars, and what I saw was quite dense with a "nebulous" background and a few superimposed bright stars. I'm not much good a estimating size, but it was about half the field at x200, and certainly not difficult to find (I came back to it a couple of times between clouds clearing). I was about an outer Telrad circle SE of Wasat.

With intermittent cloud , could you have mistaken wasat for another star in the area , there's a couple of o/c at a similar distance from pollux's knee for example (ngc 2355 or 2395)

I've made many an error with star hopping by misinterpreting the start point.

You probably didn't , but worth considering.

With intermittent cloud , could you have mistaken wasat for another star in the area , there's a couple of o/c at a similar distance from pollux's knee for example (ngc 2355 or 2395)

I've made many an error with star hopping by misinterpreting the start point.

You probably didn't , but worth considering.

That, in fact, is a distinct possibility! Looking at the pocket atlas I might have been on Pollux's knee rather than waist! As you say, with scudding clouds I could have been confused (happening more and more these days!), although I was fairly confident at the time. Can't wait to get out again. I'm on a mission now!

(I'm pretty sure I was a long way from M35. Thanks for suggestion Phil)

That, in fact, is a distinct possibility! Looking at the pocket atlas I might have been on Pollux's knee rather than waist! As you say, with scudding clouds I could have been confused (happening more and more these days!), although I was fairly confident at the time. Can't wait to get out again. I'm on a mission now!

(I'm pretty sure I was a long way from M35. Thanks for suggestion Phil)

I've lost count Jason of the times I've started from the wrong star, including the very one in question . Here's to the next session .

I found the Eskimo last night about half a Telrad outer circle from Wasat, then moved further SE about a full circle and came across that cluster again. I think it must be NGC 2420. I had read that it was fairly ihsignificant and difficult, but this is quite a bright loose cluster with what looks like background glow, certainly not hard to find. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else can confirm this.

Thanks

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Kelling Star party last weekend and took a look at NGC2420 with the 10" dob. Transparency was not too good, which was a bit frustrating. 

At 59x it appeared as a faint small cluster. Going up to 136x showed it much the same but slightly larger.

So, whilst not obvious and a little bit of a challenge it can certainly be seen with a bit of care.

Archived