Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 127 synscan

bish

Hi all,

I used to do some basic moon and planets shots with my old 200p on a driven EQ5. I am thinking of getting back into some imaging (200p sold). My first thought was to stick my 250px onto an EQ6 - which is expensive and probably a bit cumbersome. To buy an HEQ5 syscan would also mean buying a smaller tube too . This led me to the idea of spending a lot less and buying a 127 synscan that can double up as a very portable grab n go. I could always sell it at a later date if I do enough to warrant saving for an EQ6.

Sorry for the ramble! Are there many out there using a 127 synscan currently for basic imaging?

Thanks

I think it should work to a certain extent.  I usually spent twenty minutes or so collecting enough DSLR frames for a full disc lunar image and that may be asking too much with the alt-az mount, but you may well get by with fewer.  Over a handful of minutes of capture time for planetary you may well be fine.

What sort of camera(s) were you thinking of using?

James

Thanks James. I used to use (and still have) an old celestron webcam (neximage I think it's called). That has it's own problems as I don't know if you can get drivers for Windows 7 (had to find the drivers for my old Vista laptop as I recall). I also have  a EOS 5D2 - but the weight may be a bit much for such a set up. I could replace the webcam or alternatively buy a cheap second hand 1000d or something.

Cheers

A DSLR works nicely on the back of the 127 for full disc lunar imaging.  No idea about the weight of the 5D though.  I use a 450D on mine.

If you have the old Celestron Neximage I have a feeling that it's the same sensor as the SPC900.  I'd be loathe to give that up without giving it a pretty good try first.  Is this of any help?  http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2364

James

Thanks for the link. I will try it out later today. If I can get the webcam to work then I can hold off with the DSLR for a while - but will give the 5D a try anyway. As much as I would love an EQ6 for the big scope I think something more grab n go would get much more use. Could always sell it and buy an EQ6 at a later date if I really get into astro imaging. 

Yes it's an excellent mount for solar system imaging with the 127. I am pretty sure it would cope with the 5d on the back, if you mounted the scope as far forwards as possible, the motors are pretty good and you ae not too reliant on stunning tracking for your lunar stuff if doing 30-60 seconds videos at prime focus to make a 2 or four panel mosaic (or maybe even a single frame if you are lucky and depending upon what part of the lunar cycle and your camera).

You could even think about weighting the front of the scope if it was very much out of balance, but that may make it easier for the altitude motor but harder for the azimuth motor - trial and error.

Jd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived