Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW dec and ra motor upgrade

I have asked about this before on here but please bear with me. If this skywatcher motor upgrade kit has different TRACKING rates as opposed to SLEWING rates how do you set them ? I have seen meade handsets that say on the display if they are tracking lunar or planetary etc but the images of the SW upgrade handset only has arrows to determine direction and a switch to move at faster slew rates. I would hate to spend a £100 or so and not be able to accurately track things. Can anyone who may have this motor upgrade help me here.

Regards....Geoff

If it's the same as for the EQ3-2 upgrade that I fitted as I suspect then the motors track at sidereal rate , no lunar or solar alternatives.

The slewing speeds are 2x , 4x and 8x and are just for tweaking the object into the centre of FOV after roughly positioning by unlocking clutches and manually moving about.

The six volt thing is nothing to worry about , the motors are 6v motors ... 

It's easy enough to disengage the motors, move the scope manually for a large slew, then re-engage the motors. It's just a matter of loosening the knurled collar then re-tightening it. You can get near the object this way then just tweak it up using the handset arrow keys.

Six volts is nothing to worry about - but regular batteries will drain pretty quick - especially on a cold night - it would be much better with a 6v power pack or mains transformer. :)

Thank you guys for your invaluable info once again. Can I ask though is it easy enough to attach a six vault supply to it or will it need modifying , I ask this as I am not very good at electrical  things.!! Also will the sidereal tracking rate be good enough for astro imaging the moon and planets ? Thanks in advance....Geoff

I think the danger , if any, of 6 volt components is that 12 volt systems seem more common so there is the possible chance for 12 volts to be applied in error. For the short exposures needed for imaging the Moon and planets sidereal tracking is perfectly adequate.   :smiley:  

When I bought mine I also bought a variable voltage mains to DC power supply. So can select 6v, 12v, etc depending on whether using the hand set or connected through AstroEQ.

It simply plugs in.

Rich

Hi Rich, you could'nt elaborate on the power supply you mentioned because if it worked for you I would be more confident when buying it...Thanks  Geoff

Sure, I purchased the motors + supply from Teleskop-Service in Germany. €14.00

The supply was this one:

Power Supply 12V - 1500mA - AC/DC Adapter

-- Input: 100V - 240V AC
-- Output: 3V / 4.5V / 6V / 7,5V (1500mA) - 9V (1400mA) - 12V (1100mA)
-- regular or inversed polarity

I would guess that something similar would be available from any B&Q type place.

Simply slide to select 6v and plug it into the hand set.

Cheers,

Richard

Archived