Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alt/Az to EQ

dan_uk

Hey Guys,

As you know i'm just about to make this transition, unfortunately the lead time for my new scope is 3-4 weeks!

I've decided to make the most of this time in between scopes to reduce the frustrations I am going to experience with a completely new setup. I would still consider myself a newbie as I only had my previous scope for less than a year!

First thing i've done is outline a start up procedure for myself, if i'm missing anything or you have tips I would be grateful!

1. Setup and level tripod

2. Attach mount and check level

3. Attach OTA and balance

4. Rough polar alignment of mount using polar scope (was planning to get one of these)

5. Perform 2 + 4 Celestron Alignment procedure

6. Slew to a star away from the North and run ASPA, then correct the PA with the adjusters on the mount

I know i'm probably missing a lot of detail but it's difficult to picture it all without having used an EQ mount before, especially all the different adjustment knobs and the process of balancing the mount. I've already read through the manual several times but again it's hard to picture things without having the mount in front of you.

I am probably going to purchase the Starsense accessory although I won't attempt to use it until I have things down manually, I know there were initially some issues with EQ mounts, anybody successfully using it with their EQ mount and in particular with ASPA?

If anyone would like some company next time they head out, let me know as i'm sure it would be useful to see things setup by someone who knows their stuff!

Dan

The last EQ I saw set up about 2 weeks ago went along the following:

Put tripod on ground, adjust legs until it looked level(ish). :icon_scratch:

Set/Check Latitude, 52 is a nice number, the scale even has a small dash there or there abouts. :rolleyes:

Work out which bright thingy is Polaris. :hello2:

Aim polar scope at polaris and put it in the middle, to hell with the funny little circle. :BangHead:

Figure out where the scope was and attach, assume the middle of the bar was about the right for balance. :eek:

Aim scope at something for the public to look at. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Thats pretty much the routine I use to set up my VX. Only had it out twice now and the second time I didn't even polar align it. Just did the 2 star align and then just used 1 extra calibration star. Goto and tracking were pretty good. Didn't try taking any long subs with my DSLR but everything I wanted to view were dead on in the EP.

When I did do my polar alignment the first time I didn't use a polar scope. Just looked through the hole and got it close to center as possible. ASPA chose Sirius for me but after it slewed away to it and I had to recenter it with the knobs, I couldn't even find Sirius again so I just canceled the alignment process and checked the handheld for alignment error and I was almost perfect in altitude and less than 1/4 degree off in az. Not the greatest but it was too cold to play with it too much. I know I'll get better as I use it and set it up more.

Seems the general consensus is just roughly follow the steps and it will be fine  :smiley: 

Ultimately I will be doing guided long exposure imaging but that won't be for a while. It's good to know for visual it can be a quick setup, maybe not as fast as the alt/az setup but not far off either. 

Probably just as quick as an Alt / Az for visual ...

My A VX holds the time and date setting, so its literally carry out, turn it on, say yes a few times , choose quick align and i'm off.

If i'm after accurate goto then the 2 star align is fine and takes about 3 to 5 minutes depending how quick i am at identifying two stars !

i would say your about right, but i would polar align before adding the scope as it's a lot easier to adjust before the tube goes on.

I agree. Do the polar align before adding the telescope and counterweights to the mount, the rear bolt would be under greater load if the tune and counterweights are in place.Also, levelling the tripod doesn't have any affect on the tracking of the mount, roughly level is good enough.

Thanks for the tips.

I ended up getting Starsense to secure a better price on the scope but currently it does not work with ASPA so i'm definitely going for the Polar scope.

I noticed in the instructions for the polar scope you have to do something to align it with your mount but can't get my head around exactly what needs doing? 

If you've got time to kill before the new set-up arrives (congrats btw) then go through astronomy sheds you tube vids...I think there's about 6-7 just for setting up an eq mount.

Thanks auspom, those videos are great and pretty much answered all of my questions. The Polarscope alignment part was great.

On the third video now but as you mentioned I have a load of time to kill, possibly a week still so i'll get through them.

Archived