Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation focuser (minor) disassembly

JamesF

I wish to remove the non dual-speed knob from my Revelation dual-speed focuser:

revpst.jpg

I suspect the knob is fitted to the shaft using a screw through the end face of the shaft and that the slightly conical end of the knob comes off to allow access to this, but I am guessing.  At any rate, although there appears to be a join between the body of the knob and the end cap, I can't get anything in there to prise them apart.

Has anyone actually taken one of these knobs off?

My plan was to fit a motor drive either direct to the focuser shaft as I've seen done here or to put a pulley on the end of the shaft and drive it using a belt, but if all else fails I'll use a belt/o-ring drive over the knob.

James

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try posting on that forum and ask Space Cowboy how he got it off.

PMed him a few days back but haven't had a response yet.  He's not been online for two months, so I'm not entirely hopeful.

James

I'd leave the knob in place and use a small timing belt to drive it  http://www.motionco.co.uk/timing-belts-timing-belts-c-25_38_27.html  I drive all my focussers on the fine adjustment knob using a modified servo.  It works very well and there is no perceptable slipping.  I have a plug in variable power supply that will work on any of my scopes.

it's no more than a guess really, but is it possible there's a retaining screw under the knerled rubber on the knob? just a thought really.

Already removed that to look :D  There doesn't appear to be anything under it.

James

I'd leave the knob in place and use a small timing belt to drive it  http://www.motionco.co.uk/timing-belts-timing-belts-c-25_38_27.html  I drive all my focussers on the fine adjustment knob using a modified servo.  It works very well and there is no perceptable slipping.  I have a plug in variable power supply that will work on any of my scopes.

That may well end up being the route I go.  It would have the advantage of allowing me to tuck the motor under the focuser body, too.

Come to think of it, that might be quite a neat way to motorise the tuner ring of my PST.

James

Sorry James , will have to learn to read properly ...  :grin:

You'll need to remove the focuser assembly from underneath , the screw holding the end on is on the smaller part of the spindle hidden from normal view.

Can't remember fully but there may be some very small 'o' rings inside on the four fixing screws so be aware.

You're very welcome , sorry for the previous stupidity ...  :grin:

Can't remember why I didn't fit mine to the 10:1 end but I'm sure there was a good reason , makes little difference with the f15 Mak as there's quite a big sweet spot so's to speak.

Oh, and how did you mount the motor to the bottom of the focuser in that instance?  The Crayford SCT focuser has plenty of screws that can be used for mounting, but I'd not noticed that the R&P version (which I think that one is?) has any suitable mounting points.

James

Archived